Author Topic: Ashton Grammar School Website  (Read 53053 times)

heather

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Grammar School Website
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I don't have a picture of the old jockey caps but I still have my blue cap from 1968! I think that we were the first year to have the new blue ones.
Heather

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20 AM »
I do wish, I had, because people rarely believe me when I tell them we had to wear caps.  I can remember turning up as a first year with it firmly in place with the large peak resting just above my eyes.  When I got to school all the older girls were wearing them at a jaunty angle.  These older girls were still in the late 50s rocker style fashion with sticky out underskirts, wide white belts and back-combed beehives.  They had somehow managed to bend and twist the caps out of shape so that the peak rested in top of the back of their head at right angles to the rest of the cap.

I can also remember ceremonial burnings at the end of the 5th year - so very few if any will survive.

very bes wishes,
GAY

PS Maybe just a chance in the Archives library - they do have quite a few AGS photos.  Will have a look if I get the chance.
PPS Would love to see what Heather's new blue caps looked like
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 06:31 AM »
Wondering if anyone has a photo of the awful school caps that we Ashton grammar girls (yes, girls) had to wear.  They were like boys' caps but with a much larger peak. I hated the damn things and was just describing to some friends about the time we were taken down Manchester as a school group to see some French play at the theatre. Some wags on a nearby building site shouted:  "Eh, it's the bl***y jockeys' school!"   My friends don't believe that we had to wear caps (this was early 60s) so photographic evidence required.  ;D

I remember my late sister, Anita, at the end of the war coming home quite pleased. The powers that be at the grammar school had purchased a job lot of WRNS caps for the girls to wear in place of the floppy school hats. Now there was something to see.   Ayess

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Have got a pic somewhere of my first day at ags wearing my aweful hat but that was prob 1971 but what a waste of my parents money as never wore it at school as nobody did when I got there.

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31 AM »
When Meg and I were at the school, the prefects were allowed to hand out punishments if we were found outside school not wearing our caps.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48 AM »
When Meg and I were at the school, the prefects were allowed to hand out punishments if we were found outside school not wearing our caps.

Hi Oh to be a prefect now that spring is here    herby

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 04:58 AM »

I went to Notre Dame High School in Manchester in the early 60's and I think we had the silliest school hat ever. 
What ever made a group of intelligent grown ups(?) think it was a good idea to make girls of 11 and upwards wear a Dick Turpin style hat.  Oh, how we suffered, and I still hate wearing hats!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51 PM »
That hat looks positively stylish compared to our AGS caps!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Agreed Meg!!

Don't know any school whose hats were worse than ours.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54 PM »
I have a picture of the blue cap  but don't know how to put it on here. I could email it to someone who does know.
Heather

Ashtonian54

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10 AM »
I found the recent BBC Series on Grammar Schools quite interesting.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Hello,
Do any of you AGS girls remember Beryl Thornton, would be about 71/72 now or Dorothy Penny about the same age. I would love to know if they ever attend any of your 'gatherings' or if they still keep in touch with any Ashton Person. I remember those Caps and their big 'nebs'!!! The two girls mentioned above both used to attend Hurst Nook Sunday School. Would be nice to have an old yarn or two!.

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27 AM »
When I was a 1st year at ags my cousin was a prefect and nobody was wearing the hat so I wasn't going to stand out like a sore thumb wearing mine and  never got asked about it, so it was a waste of my parents money.

margaretmakinson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 11:48 PM »
I have just looked through the photo's from the ASG website and saw a picture of Peter Shevlin.  Could it be Michael Peter Shevlin from Waterloo.  Does anyone know.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 03:36 AM »
I have a picture of Peter Shevlin from 2008 when we (GayJ and I) organised a mini grammar school reunion. Peter used to live on reins lee rod at the top of store street, Waterloo. His mum taught piano.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar