Author Topic: Ashton Grammar School Website  (Read 52485 times)

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
Ashton Grammar School Website
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:04 PM »
A website I started because of some old schoolmates.  Meg in particular, with her almost total recall was my inspiration:

www.ashtongrammar.co.uk
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Old Ashtonian

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Grammar School Website
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:54 AM »
Many thanks for that site GayJ. It brought back many memories. Not much news for us "oldies" Though!! ie early 1940's.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Do contribute your memories to Gay to add to the AGS website.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:56 PM »
I found the Ashton Grammar School site fascinating! I see David Robinshaw is in one of the photos. He still attends my old church Holy Trinity!
I felt very sad though, when I saw that the front is the only portion of the war memorial lectern to have survived. Such things should be treated with more respect than this.
The Black Knight rides again!

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Hello Assheton,

I have still been trying to locate the First World War memorial, which if you remember was a largish wooden board on the wall of the hall.  According to Joyce Greenwood, who is still alive and kicking, when the school became a sixth for college, Mr Cutts, the headmaster,  removed and dumped everything which said Ashton-under-Lyne Grammar School.  Apparently the back part of the WW2 memorial was made in the woodwork class and wasn't tremendously sturdy.  Tameside Museum archives thinks the front only survived because the sculpture was by a rather famous artist (I can't remember which at the moment).

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Hi GayJ
best of luck with your endeavours re the other war memorial!! Whilst you are at it, perhaps you could keep an eye out for the VERY LARGE mural of the Black Knight the council managed to lose from Ashton Town Hall!!!!!!!
I wonder why the headmaster was so keen to be rid of anything from the Grammar School days? It's a shame when a proud history is of no interest to those who come after!!
best wishes
Stephen
The Black Knight rides again!

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:02 AM »

I wonder why the headmaster was so keen to be rid of anything from the Grammar School days? It's a shame when a proud history is of no interest to those who come after!!

Apparently he stated that this was a Sixth Form College now and no longer a Grammar School so all traces were removed. Such Arrogance!  He seems to have been a universally disliked man (hearsay only!)

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Just got around to reading about Pendrey who was headboy at AGS about 1962. Hasn't he done well???  ;D

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I was very sad to hear of Mr. Reagan`s death. He was one of my favourite teachers in my time there[1956-61] and due to his teaching skills, I sailed through my G.C.E in English Language, and I`m sure many others will have happy memories of his lessons too.

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I have mixed feelings about my time at AGS but there were good times. My favourite teachers were Mrs Brett Mr Brayne Mr crompton and Mrs Hetherington who also taught my husband at philip howard glossop. I always felt sorry for Mr shepherd science because he couldn't cope with the discipline and this was picked up by pupils.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I can agree with you about the mixed feelings Lydia - think our sister had a better time at Heginbottom.  One thing I loved about the school though was the playing fields.  In the summer you could go out at lunchtime and sit in the sun with your friends far away from teachers and prefects :-)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Hi Jan That was better than Hegginbottom we were lucky if we got on the flat roof or a small yard between the two buildings. And we had to walk up to Beaufort Rd for out door games you lucky thing. Fudge

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Thanks Fudge.  I knew there had to be *some* advantages to going to the Grammar  ;)

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51 PM »
the ashton aircadets used the grammer school as i recall the brylcreem boys. kennyo

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Wondering if anyone has a photo of the awful school caps that we Ashton grammar girls (yes, girls) had to wear.  They were like boys' caps but with a much larger peak. I hated the damn things and was just describing to some friends about the time we were taken down Manchester as a school group to see some French play at the theatre. Some wags on a nearby building site shouted:  "Eh, it's the bl***y jockeys' school!"   My friends don't believe that we had to wear caps (this was early 60s) so photographic evidence required.  ;D