Author Topic: BARBER SHOPS  (Read 30223 times)

greeny

• View Profile
BARBER SHOPS
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:49 AM »
HI  are barbers shops on a decline i know we are over run with ladies hair salons . but i think barbers shops are on a decline to what us fellows use to have , i remem :ber  a few that use to be round ashton , can any one remeber dons on george street you use to get a good bob cut ,up to wood they would say , can you name any more barbers shops round ashton , the first one i recall was over covent gardens on old street facing what was the pit and nelson  :D

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: BARBER SHOPS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:34 AM »
There was one that closed on Wellington Rd facing the Council Buildings I think it as reopened now but did not know name my Dad use to go there Fudge

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:39 PM »
As a kid,we allways went to the "Green Hut" at Woolley Bridge,just next to the Spread Eagle. The barbers is still there opposite Wilkinsons,its owned by Gary , we go there now,we call it the City shop,cos he is a fellow Blue like me and our lads  :)
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Think it was Byrom or N on Warrington St.He had a black wart on his cheek.Funny how you remember crazy things.I think there is a photo in the Tameside Image archive,near the Wooden Spoon!!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:10 PM »
hi three more to the barbers shop man styles old street , i remember two on oldham road  walsh and harry thompsons , another question why is it you got a slap round the back of the neck when you had a haircut as a kid and they would say pow slap,where did that come from

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:59 PM »
 I remember two of the barbers that worked on Old st they
 were Barry and David Adshead they went to Aus in 1960s
 and Barry stills comes back every year
 The other one I went to was on Stamford st just passed Lawtons
  it was only half a shop and the other was a cobblers Albert

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:54 AM »
Hi
      There was The Don on the street between the Feathers and The Pitt and Nelson
  Fred Hookes on Stamford st up from the Red lion and Mellors on Warrington st opposite the Caledonian    herby

Ashtonian54

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14 PM »
My short back and sides were at the Barbers on Oldham Rd at Burlington Street

Ryecrofter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Hello good people from a newbie making his first posting. I am AUL born and bred in the West End but have been exiled to the big county over the Pennines for over 20 years. Recently retired and took up the computer and have been reading the site and enjoying it with a huge dollop of nostalgia. I love the old town and drive over a few times a year to visit loved ones graves.
                 Bill, I too had my hair cut at Harold's on Stockport road though for many years I had to call him Mr. Gordon!
I always remember sitting waiting for a trim and leafing through a magazine when I came across a girl called Jane and her dog. Strange lass who did loads of things but for some reason her clothes kept coming off. Spent a lot of my teens looking for a Jane but no luck!!!
                  Hope to stay in touch and ask a few questions of you regarding lost friends and clearing up a few arguments that my sister and I still have about shops and people but for now

Farewell from old Doncaster and Rycrofter

KENNY.O.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:51 PM »
hi folks we used to get our pow at hurst cross i think he was called joe hollingsworth he had a wooden  leg anyone remmember joe  kenny.o

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56 PM »
HI  kenny.o. i think  it could be the same chap who moved to the barbers shop  bit further down than the theatre royal he had a wooden leg he lived up carbrook, if its the same i think he has passed on, he was called the same??
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

KENNY.O.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 02:50 AM »
the time i was refering to was late forties kenny.o.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24 AM »
Hi
        Yes I remember him  he was always talking Once when I was in there one of his customers said to him if tha dosner get moving that  bloody wooden leg o yours il tak root.   herby

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:15 AM »
 I remember Joe Hollingworth I went to school at the same time
 as is son the Stamford boys and later his son worked in the shop

downshawer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I used to frequent Cloughies' Barbers opposite the war memorial in Waterloo. Who says men can't multi-task - Cloughie could. He was quite capable of cutting your hair whilst smoking his full-strength Capstan. Never once did he stop to put his cigarette down or flick his ash, it lay where it fell, mainly on your shoulders. You ended up looking like you had a very severe case of dandruff.

I believe he had been employed as a barber in the army and he learnt his trade there. He had one cut: short-back-and sides. My mother judged the quality of his haircut by how much he took off. The shorter the better because you went back less often. Unfortunately he would leave a mop on top and you ended up looking like Bart Simpson before Bart Simpson was a glint in the eye of his creator.

Cloughie's finest hair-cut was achieved one sunny day in the long summer school-holidays. He had cut the hair of a boy called Johnny S. Johnny had gone to Cloughies with his brother, Pete.  Somehow Pete had persuaded Cloughie that his mum insisted the barber cut Johny's hair very short because he'd had nits. Despite his protest the deed was done. I don't know if Cloughie was overcome by images of POWs but Johnny ended up looking like one. It was the funniest and most frightening site you have seen. Happy Days!