Author Topic: NORTON  (Read 8678 times)

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
Re: NORTON
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 12:59 PM »
hi All, From todays news, rather topical:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18547935

Just a thought..........

Daftjack.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 01:26 PM »
we are all using Anti-virus programmes (notice the English spelling, America has not taken over yet)

Hello Jack,

Thank you for correcting my spelling. However, you are incorrect to spell it "programme" in this context. In British English, the spelling "program" is used for computer applications, while "programme" is used for all other definitions, whereas, of course, "program" is the spelling used for all meanings in American English.
Martin

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39 PM »
hi All, Hi Martin, I sincerely APOLOGISE for the misunderstanding. When I said 'PROGRAMME' I was not correcting your spelling (I never even thought about it) I was being flippant in the respect that America had not yet taken over the whole World. Again my apologies. ( I program in C++ so I know the difference)

Regards,

Jack.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I and all my associates wherever I worked in Canada always used the "English" spelling of programme, but back then, of course, I didn't even know what a computer program was!   ;D

It gets to be even more of a puzzle though when I do my daily newspaper Crossword, as besides figuring out the answer, I have to figure out which way to spell it, as most of them must originate in the US and their spellings are always not the way I think.   :D