Author Topic: Where did everyone live and when?  (Read 28967 times)

Jayess

• View Profile
Re: Where did everyone live and when?
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2012, 01:41 AM »
Mike --I don`t think I can remember anyone from Barber St when I was born for that is 87 yrs back although as a child I used to go to see the Jones Family who lived at No6 & Harry, Jack & Edith were my cousins. --Jayess

mikep56

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Ah, a few years my senior, hence not knowing the families Jayess :-)  We moved to Curzon Road in  '65' I watched as the 'old Hilgate' was further demolished and pubs being 'renamed' also demolished. Many a happy time spent - also 'sore' times on the estate....
When you become senile, you won't know it.
- Bill Cosby

Stanny47

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I lived on Windermere Crescent then my mother passed away in 1955 and we moved to Broadoak Road Smallshaw to live next door to my gran until 1959 when we moved to Higher Openshaw after my father remarried then later when in my teens returned to Ashton to live with my sister and then with one of my aunts.

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 06:18 PM »
When born (1950 Lake Hospital) my family lived at 45 Ambleside Ave, Ashton Moss.... but, then moved to 14 Kenyon Street until 1961 then we moved to 5 Hall St, Cockbrook until 1966 then my M&D bought a house on Birch Street.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32 PM »
lived on hope street until leaving in 1954 for  canada

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00 AM »
I   was born in Manchester (1927)  lived at three locations in Ashton  1st Whitelands Rd then to Granville Terrace, and finally Montague Rd  .#110 at corner of Curzon Rd and Montague, Worked John Hills Biscuits, then Next door to Ryecroft Electric (Lancaster Bombers Ailerons and Bomb Doors) Joined Navy late 1944  Till 1947.  Took work at JE Arnfields  Guide Bridge till 49 when I rejoined the Merchant Navy. Round the World many times till I met my future wife in Vancouver BC.  I'm Still here although a different wife.. visited Ashton quite a few times .Spent 30 year in the Canadian Army Engineers, and once in Germany I got a long week end pass ,So I got to Ashton in Canadian uniform.  Retired Army 1990 as Capt and  Work in 1998,
What a Life I've had !!!! Bloody marvellous!

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Very interesting Brian  ;)
I've been to Canada but it was quite unintentional, was flying from Manchester to Auckland NZ via London and Vancouver on a Virgin/Air New Zealand Star Alliance flight about 4 years ago. Checked in at Manchester but they could only issue boarding passes as far as Vancouver so when I got to Vancouver I had to pick up my bag, go through customs and immigration explaining my situation to the nice people at the immigration desk before toddling out of the airport for a breath of Canadian air and then turning round and heading for the Air NZ check in counter. Luckily I didn't need a visa ( apparently Kiwi's traveling to or through Canada nowadays need a Electronic Travel Authorisation ). I also spent a few years in Germany helping to keep Ivan's Third Shock Army on their side of the fence but never got to work alongside the Canadian Army only the cloggies, krauts and septics ;)
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.