Author Topic: Where did everyone live and when?  (Read 28378 times)

Denise

• View Profile
Re: Where did everyone live and when?
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I didn't have much troulbe with the clogs though only when it was snowing and you grew six inches before you got home herby

Hi Herby,  Your comment triggered a memory with me - about gradually getting taller as you walked in the snow as a child. I didn't wear clogs but recall trying to knock it off coming from school and then it would build up again. Hilarious memory!!!   Denise    :D :D 
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12 AM »
Yes Herby, "cloggy-boggies" were fun to a point. Then if you tried to kick them off against the wall of a house the lady would come out and abuse you because she had just had the snow cleared off her front. Still smaller "cb's" did make extra hard snowballs! Pity the poor horses, and the carters, having to dig the snow out of the horses hooves. We had a lot of waggons with two horses in tandem come along our street and onto Lower Wharf Street. It must have been fun (?) having to dig snow from eight hooves every few minutes. Ayess

eggstoocool02

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Mum (GG) grew up on Lees Rd, opposite St Christophers Church....  After her and dad married they stayed there at my grandads till I was born, then moved first to Glebe Street in Ashton, and when i was 5 to Hartshead Ave in Smallshaw...  we made the trip to Aus in 1971 when I was 11.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 08:47 PM »
 Hi Karen and Nan were did Lily live before Lees rd she was born the same year
 as I was were in the same class but the houses on Less rd were not built till
 later I think she told me in was in Charlestown do you know  Albert 

Vanessa

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03 PM »
I remember Lily saying she was born in Charlestown, it was during a discussion about Gatefield school, I wondered if she had known my mum.

Vanessa

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I think GG was very young when they moved from Charlstown.
I did have a reply to a ? which was sent on the old group.
We were warned over and over to back up the messages,but I didn't.
All gone now.
I think the houses they moved to on Lees road came on stream just pre war.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Hello All.  Re GG, do these help?........

No.1

No.2

No.3

No.4

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2010, 11:11 PM »
 Thanks Bill that was very good of you re GG Albert

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Bill,
The messages I was refering to were the private ones

mikep56

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Born Vicarage Road, Smallshaw til' 1965 when moved to Hurst Brook until 1976. Cockbrook til' moved to Dukinfield mid eighties then moved further 'up North' 1990.  Apart from an 'overseas jaunt' for a few years, been up here since..  ;) ;)
When you become senile, you won't know it.
- Bill Cosby

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 04:28 PM »
My cousin's lived on Vicarage Road in the early 60's, the Critchley's. Larry, Lorraine and Adrianne.

Vanessa

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26 PM »
H i Bill thanks for the messages from GG just been looking at some old Emails from GG from Jan 1980
telling me that her Bert was in the RAF same time as I was.
I still see her old mate Jean Mac  Albert

mikep56

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Hi Vanessa

I seem to have some memory of the name but not 100% sure.  Just the main recollections of the mill pond off Mallory Ave - think the houses were being built then - and the pond on the field which was full of newts & frogs - not the favourite when  took bucket loads home.  Also remember my 'runaway' metal pedal car escapade, down Vicarage Road ending up in a heap at the bend at the bottom  :o

Another memory was having my head 'spit open' by a piece of 'coke' chucked at me by some 'bigger lads' from down the road..  My brother was the 'ambulance' grabbing me and rushing me home to get patched up by mum - bless her soul.  She passed away in 2000, very muched missed  :'( :'(

One name I do remember from the road was the Appleton's..
- Bill Cosby

mikep56

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Jayess..  Do you remember the Elliott, Scott and Tetlow families from Barber Street - well the houses on the front?  Do you also remember the Gilligans who were the last family living in a prefab behind Barber Street?

By the way, for anyone thinking who had the 'chippy' on pot hill square, if my memory serves me right it was the Burgess family - daughter was called Lynne, had a 'thing for her  ;) ;)
- Bill Cosby

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Hi Vanessa

I seem to have some memory of the name but not 100% sure.  Just the main recollections of the mill pond off Mallory Ave - think the houses were being built then - and the pond on the field which was full of newts & frogs - not the favourite when  took bucket loads home.  Also remember my 'runaway' metal pedal car escapade, down Vicarage Road ending up in a heap at the bend at the bottom  :o

Another memory was having my head 'spit open' by a piece of 'coke' chucked at me by some 'bigger lads' from down the road..  My brother was the 'ambulance' grabbing me and rushing me home to get patched up by mum - bless her soul.  She passed away in 2000, very muched missed  :'( :'(

One name I do remember from the road was the Appleton's..

I learnt to ride a bike on Vicarage road, I went flying down the hill and came off, never fell off again though. My cousins lived the Vicarage end of Vicarage Road. I also remember the pond with the newts and frogs, all built on now.

Vanessa