Author Topic: Where did everyone live and when?  (Read 28377 times)

herby

• View Profile
Re: Where did everyone live and when?
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 06:06 AM »
Hi Kiwi
             It was the General service medal W/C Canal zone I was there 18 monthss of my two year hitch. When I joined in 1950 it was for 18 months but they stuck another six on. They didn't ask me if I wanted to or not that was a suprise.             herby   

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Rochdale And Pendlebury Commandos ?  ;)
ROYAL ARMY PAY CORPS!!!

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39 PM »
ROYAL ARMY PAY CORPS!!!

Or, Run Away Police Coming

or

Royal Army Pension Club

;)
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

sue149

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09 PM »
lived on albermarle street till i was about 11 then moved too the west end till i was about 17 then to leech ave married at 20 and moved to holden street still there did the full circle of ashton still walk past the house i was born in nearly ever day

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Hi All.......(Born in Glasgow 1948) Lived at 244 Kings Road (opposite the football club) 1950 till 1960, then from 1965 till 1968 (Convicts Corner) better known as Palace Road, number 56. 1968 till 1973 Oldham Road.
All in all Ashton was a MAGICAL town...............or maybe I just think it was?

??? ??? ??? Daftjack.

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Nice to hear from daft jack long time since you were on, You do no me but i had to change my name, reason his this dam woman with a pram keeps chasing me,thats why i changed my name.   ;D ::)
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35 AM »
Hi Jack good to see your still in the land of the living
Kevin

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Hi Jack , hows everything are you staying or just visiting before you go off on ur travels?
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Doing some catching up and just came across this topic. Most of you seem to be top end of towners so I will balance the story. Born in Lakes Hospital 1931 lived in the last part of Hill Street until joining Merchant Navy in 1947. Went to St Peters Schools, both Welbeck and Victoria Streets the Heginbottom Modern School (Boys section in Old Street) until it closed and did the last year at Stamford Boys. Lived in Australia since getting married here in 1954. Now retired and in the City of Lake Macquarie NSW. Came for a visit to Ashton in 2008, they could use the place as a case study on how to really destroy a perfectly good market town. But it still has that nostalgia about it.  Ayess

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41 AM »
ayess.What do you mean by top enders.I dont think I come into that class.Born in Bardsley  went to St Marys and Christ Church.Now living in The City of Shellharbour NSW been here 46 yrs this week.
Kevin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Hi
        I must be a top ender I was born 1930 in THe top end of Church st the same block as the modern girls school My dad was onn the dole before the war like most of the men in Ashton got clogs from the education department and free meals from the canteen in Park st.Still it's nice to know I was a top ender. I now live on a golf course in Caboolture Sunny Queensland, Whoopee.                                                herby

suzy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20 AM »
Well i have not been to this site for a while. I love reading where everyone is from. It brings back good memories.
I'm not sure where i was born,Think it might of been up at the hospital, But my mother and father lived at 138 Victoria St Ashton straight across the road from the school  and my Grandmother and Grandfather( Lomas)lived around the corner in Grosvenor street.My Sister and I went to St Peter school before we moved to hurst cross,74 Hadfield Cres then I went to Mossley Girls School untill 1967
. We then emigrated to Australia 1967. Now living Toowoomba Queensland.
Sue

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 06:48 AM »
Sorry! Sorry!! Sorry!!! 

When I said "top end of towners" I was speaking in a geographical sense not one of class. I have had a long life of attempting to either be jocular or "doing the right thing" and putting my foot in it. If you want proof have a look in the book, "voices of Ashton-under-Lyne" page 24-25, thats me, still the diplomat!

Yes Herby, I remember the Education Department clogs. A few years ago I broke my great toe and my foot was x-rayed. The radiographer asked me how long was it since the horrendous accident to my foot. I said that I hadn't been in an accident. Well she said there is not a bone in your foot that isn't misplaced or deformed. Oh! I said that just from wearing school clogs. My late sister went to her grave with a scar down the inside of her left calf. She used to sit with her right foot tucked under her. Clog irons wore thin and broke. Just like a knife scar as she pulled her leg from underneath her. Wonder how kids would get on today wearing the things?

Again, sorry if I caused anyone to feel slight by my comment, it was made in all innocence and, as I said meant as a geographic reference.   AS

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Hi
    Thats ok ayess I wasn't offended or slighted I'm too bloody old to take anythig seriously I didn't have much troulbe with the clogs though only when it was snowing and you grew six inches before you got home they weren't the best for wearing though and the school wouldn't let you play football with clogs on    herby

joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50 PM »
sue,our family lived on number 1 holden st tilll about 63 0r 64 joe