Author Topic: Where did everyone live and when?  (Read 30398 times)

gina44

• View Profile
Re: Where did everyone live and when?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I was born on Hope st in 1965, then we lived with my gran on Hazel ave,we then moved to Greenwood ave when i was 3(my mum still lives there).I then lived on Hilton cres .I now live on Crowhill,tucked away on a little cul de sac and i like it here.

Lynn in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 11:14 PM »
I was born in Welbeck St,then moved to Coniston Grove when I was 4.Married in the USA in 1981 and have lived in Tx ever since.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 01:01 AM »
Hi
            Born in Church st 1930 in 65 moved to Sydney Aus then up to Queensland.   herby

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21 PM »
HI..born in staleybridge lived round the bridge, moved round  mossley,moved to manchester,then moved round ashton till then i settled down  in ashton . ::)  :-X  ;)
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Paul B and me were almost neighbours! :) He lived at No 19 Turner Lane  (just under the little subway) and I lived at no 17 but not at the same time :)
Just wondering how you went on with the trains at night.used to use the tunnel all the time on my way home,the trains really made a din.Seem to remember houses right at the entrance to the tunnel,were these yours?

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Yes them were ours Jaywit. My bedroom was the front bedroom,so i could see all the activity at the station. The train noise never bothered me,supposed i just got used to it.I used to love watching the steam trains thunder through. I always wanted to be a fireman on one,not a driver. but they got phased out and replaced by diesel. Always remember going to Manchester,on the train,and on the way to Victoria,were dozens of steam engines all parked up going rusty,waiting to get broken up for scrap.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 07:09 PM »
There use to be two houses going under the bridge at Charlestown . I lived on Robinson St About seven houses away ran the Oldham Rd Line you just grew up with the noise the trains made During the Wakes Holidays there were a lot more and when it was Foggy the Fog detinators use to go off on the lines also the use to have Oil lamps along the lines to show the way Health and Safety would not allow it today Fudge

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 10:45 PM »
There was two houses fudge,No. 17 were Meg lived, nearest the bridge, then 19 were i lived. Then Mr Houghs shop on the corner.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I have written about my memories of living in Turner Lane and included other people's memories who have contributed to this discussion board. You can read it at
http://tamesidefamilyhistory.co.uk/turnerlane.htm
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 05:56 AM »
Was born on Queens Road Hurst. Then as a baby we moved to Rutland Street Cockbrook. When I got married moved to St James st Cockbrook also Sunnyside Grove Cockbrook. Moved to Aussie 1966. Stella

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Hi all
i was born at the lake hospital went home to 25 kershaw st guidebridge from 51 to 58 when we moved to Chester ,from there to Shetland then Aberdeen , plymouth , Bournemouth ,and finally Suffolk.  uncle and aunt lived at 88 crabbing road now auntie lives off Henrietta street . grandad lived in abandon street then Gorsey lane .still have various cousins in ashton but cannot tell you where exactly.

cyn

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 12:54 PM »
What a memory
 Between Plymouth and Bournemouth we moved to Harwich a minor point but almost forgot the two kids were born there.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22 PM »
uncle and aunt lived at 88 crabbing road now auntie lives off Henrietta street . grandad lived in abandon street
Hi Cyn,

I am wondering whether you mean Cranbourne Road and Abingdon Street?
Martin

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I thought 'Crabbing' and 'Abandon' sounded so cute too, Thea!!!
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Sorry guys having a realy bad day ,yes martin i did mean cranbourne and abingdon also forgot leech ave and if i can master this photo lark i have a couple that my erstwhile children would say are embarrassing , mind you i can e mail them but as for sticking them on here i think it may be beyond me.