Author Topic: Where did everyone live and when?  (Read 28107 times)

Old Ashtonian

• View Profile
Re: Where did everyone live and when?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:28 AM »
I lived at 128 Cotton Street until 1950 when I joined the RN

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:53 AM »
My first address from birth was Barber St, Hillgate then Hope St, Hurst, then when I married I lived on Montague Rd & then Bought a house in Moorfield Ave,Denton & from there I left  for Australia where I have lived for the last 51 Yrs.  Jayess

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I was born in Bardsley 1935 in a house facing the Woodpark Pit Gates.Lived in Bardsley till I got married in 1954.Moved to Oldham In 1956.Back to Bardsley in 1959.Left for Australia.Dec 1963 been here ever since.
Kevin

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Kiwi - I lived in Shelley Grove from 1953 (aged 2) to 1962 when we moved to Currier Lane Ashton where I stayed until 1976 when I got married and moved away.
What number Shelley Grove and what Junior School did you go to?  You would be the same age as my middle sister.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21 PM »
We all know how old you are now Kiwi ;D
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Paul B and me were almost neighbours! :) He lived at No 19 Turner Lane  (just under the little subway) and I lived at no 17 but not at the same time :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 07:18 PM »
hi born in ashton lived at few addresses round ashton and i now live about 25 mins walk to where i was born :D

Shelagh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I lived in Broadoak Grove in the 50s, then The Old Nook (now St Christopher's School) and then Curzon Rd. I now live in Twickenham but still return to Ashton to see my sister.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Welcome on board Shelagh  :)

Jan, my Mum still lives at no 33 and I went to Manor Rd, am also in regular contact with Pauline Cryer her parents still live further down towards Fiveways.

Yep Pam, I turn 55 next month  :-\ but you're only as old as the person you feel  ;)
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Born and bred in Ashton and lived on Palace Road the posh bit at the top near Rosehill Road!!!!!! When I was three my parents bought a house on Leicester Street which was an un-adopted or 'dirt street' near the Hop Pole on Oldham Road and just behind William Monks' Garage. I left Ashton in 1978 when I married and now live in Cheltenham.
The Black Knight rides again!

Ashtonian54

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17 PM »
It all started for me at 54 Tatton St in 1954 then moved to 108 Burlington St in 1957 where i lived till 1983 now living in Burbank, California on Lincoln St. Schools were St Anne's, De La Salle, Ashton C of FE and De La Salle Middleton.

108 Burlington St at Progress St

The Wall between the front room and the living room was like a sash window. It could be lifted to make one very big room.  However, one of the cables holding the counter weight had snapped to when we moved in in 1957 my Dad nailed the wall down permanently.

Gone is the Spiritualist Church

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 09:59 PM »
my mum lived on turner lane before she got married in1950 but cant remember the number [56?]. Its next door to achippy now. I was also born at 81 shelly grove but wwas only very young when we moved to currier lane.I went to parochial ashton grammar and beaufort road college.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Kiwi - I lived at 81 Shelley Grove so we were on the same side then :-)  My sister and I went to Manchester Rd so different schools.

Lydia - I always get confused with Grandmas address on Turner Lane as the house was renumbered at one point.  I know it was 66 when Mum was little but can't remember what it was afterwards.  Will ask her.

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Lived in Bengal St in Ashton (which is Hillgate estate now ) then moved up hurst at the age of 9 , then lived on Canterbury street for a short time after getting married , then moved back up hurst where i still live now.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I'm afraid I'm an incomer, having been born and brought up in Somerset!
I came to Ashton a few times visiting my mate "Burlington". I liked the area so much that I moved here in 1975 and have been in or near Ashton ever since!
Martin