Author Topic: BOOKS  (Read 5918 times)

greeny

• View Profile
BOOKS
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Hi i see dan browns brought another book out the lost symbols, a follow up to davinci code and angels and demons it looks like its going to be another best seller , and a new film ,seen the last two films which were interesting , as any one read the latest  ???

Vanessa

Re: BOOKS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:27 PM »
I've just watched Angels and Demons and really enjoyed it, The Da Vinci Code was good but it did leave out a lot from the book which was a great read. I haven't read Lost Symbols yet but if the other books are anything to go by it should be good.

Vanessa

wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I don't really like Dan Brown so I am pleased to see that Hilary Mantel's book Wolf Hall has just won the Booker prize and is outselling Dan Brown (at least for a few days) on amazon.co.uk

Hilary comes from Hadfield but her husband is an Ashtonian through and through.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Its Funny I use to always have a book in my hand but rearly read one now unless it to do with some research that I might be doing on family history or local history Fudge

Vanessa

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Just finished reading The Lost Symbol, couldn't afford it until it was a supermarket paperback. What a great read, I couldn't put it down, I suspect that when they make the film lots will be missed out as it is action packed. If anyone likes murder mystery's/crime novels, I recommend Tess Gerritson, if a book doesn't grip me in the first few pages then I can't get into it, her books capture you in the first page.

Vanessa

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I like Tess Gerritson too Vanessa. For crime/thriller fiction I also like Val Mc Dermid, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell and Harlan Coben. There are plenty of others around but I can heartily recommend these for a nail-biting read.

Vanessa

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Love Patricia Cornwell. Karen Rose and Kathy Reichs are good nail biters too.

Vanessa

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I'm a fan of Tess Gerritson too.  Anyone read Jeffrey Deaver's books (especially the Lincoln Rhyme series - the film The Bone Collector was based on the first book in the series)?

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I've read all the Lincoln Rymes and many jeffrey deaver books. I read anything and everything and always make sure I have got something in the house to read. At the moment though I am reading 'Tales from a midwife' by Jennifer Worth. On a different note I went to men arena sunday to see war of the worlds for the second time. Brilliant. Love Justin  Hayward. But also Jason donavon and Rhydian were excellent too.

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I`ve read a couple of Jeffrey Deaver books too, Jan, and like the Lincoln Rhyme character.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Really enjoying 'My Life in Books' on BBC2 hosted by Anne Robinson.
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:54 AM »
I bought the full set of James Patterson`s " Women`s Murder Club" books at Christmas. Nine books in the series numbered 1 to 9  and would recommend them as excellent reading if you are into thrillers. Just finished number 9 and was sorry to see the end of them. Read the whole lot one after the other and it has taken me just 5 weeks. I couldn`t bear to put them down once I started them.

Vanessa

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Thanks Nan, I'll look out for them I noticed number 10 is due out soon

Vanessa

Vanessa

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Hi Nan, just started book 5 of the "Womens murder club", they're really good, thanks for the recommendation.

Vanessa

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33 AM »
A friend just lent me the complete kathy reichs collection, brilliant, am on book number 10 and so enjoying them