Author Topic: BOOKS  (Read 5913 times)

jan

• View Profile
Re: BOOKS
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45 AM »
You might like Dennis Lehane's books too.  I read a couple of his on a recommendation ("stand alones") but then discovered he'd written a series about a couple of private investigators "Kenzie and Gennaro) which I really enjoyed.  Just found another stand alone which I'd not come across so looking forward to starting that.

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Thanks, will try his books when finished the ones I've got

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Does anyone watch Luther on Tuesday nights? Its had me on the edge of my seat, last one next week.

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Just been to the library and got 2 Karen Rose, 3 Tess Gerritsen and 1 Dennis Lehane so looking forward to getting stuck in later.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Never read Karen Rose so far but very much like most of Tess Gerritsen.  Which Lehane did you borrow?

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Actually its called coronado and its seperate stories but will give it a go and maybe get shutter island next time

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 11:29 AM »
That's not one I've read yet.  Shutter Island is good (they made a film of it which I haven't seen) but I still like the Kenzie and Gennaro series best - first book is "A drink before the war" 

Ashtonian54

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44 PM »
Does anyone watch Luther on Tuesday nights? Its had me on the edge of my seat, last one next week.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57 PM »
A very different role for Idris Elba in 'Luther'. In 'The Wire' (which I loved) he was a hard-nut gangster.
We're glued to 'Borgen' the latest Danish thriller on Sat nights.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Wow, episode one last night was amazing. It has rave reviews in the papers today. It certainly reminded me of my younger days  ::)
The way they acted out the tension was electrifying, award winning i would say. I can't wait for the second and final installment.
Then I am going to find the book, I would love to read it. I see the bbc didn't baulk at the cruder aspects of the novel, unlike when Jaws was made in 1977  ;D  I read Jaws for my O level English, in the fourth year at school. I never did understand the police chiefs wifes fantasys until I was much much older  ;)
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!