Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 4201 times)

Vanessa

9/11
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:03 PM »
In 1996 I made a trip to the top of the World Trade Centre in New York, a group of us went in the late afternoon so we could watch the sun set over New York from the roof, it is an experience that will live with me forever. When the twin towers were destroyed in 2001 I couldn't help but think of the people I had met during my visit, the lift attendant, security people and the workers in the shop and cafe on the viewing deck, I didn't know their names so I don't know if they survived. On our return to the ground we walked by a firestation across the road, the firemen looked up and smiled at us, how many of them perished, I dread to think. As another anniversary of that terrible day approaches here is a photo of the view from the roof of the world trade centre, a view that is lost forever, it is in memory of all those people who lost their lives on that day.

Vanessa

Vanessa

Re: 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Sorry there seems to be a technical problem, will try and sort it out, unless Martin knows what it is.

FIXED IT

Vanessa

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:31 PM »
What a great photo, Vanessa. I have one looking up at one of the Towers from the ground taken in 1997. How the world has changed in such a short time!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:02 PM »
I have never been to America but still feel for all those who lost there lives not just in the twin towers but also in the Pentigon and the plane that crashed trying to save more lives. The families left behind and the people who still feel the guilt because they survived..Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Very poignant photo, Vanessa, makes one reflect on how many saw that particular view and were taken away so horribly on that day. Many shots of the Twin Towers have been shown, but this has much more meaning. It needs framing. Denise
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Vanessa

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I have a copy, framed and hanging on my wall. I read today that 7 and half tons of the metal from the twin towers has been used to make the bow of the USS New York, to be commissioned in November, the motto on the bow is "Never Forget".
The foundry workers handled the metal with great reverence before it was melted, and one man said that when he touched it with bare hands, the hair on the back of his neck stood up.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Sunday night watched the twin tower people who were trapped and phoning there love ones telling them they love them very emotional. Then last night it showed you from start to finish the planes crashing in to the twin towers and at the end both collapsing it must have been a horrible time for every one there it is so sad that there is so much hatered in the World Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:02 PM »
One of the events in your life when you can remember just where you were when it happened. I remember turning on the TV in the afternoon and thinking it was a movie. Then I realised there was live commentary from New York. Doesn't seem like 8 years ago. :'(

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 06:21 AM »
Hi
          Hear Hear  Bill    herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I think it is sad so many people die through wars what ever there race or creed . As I have said before Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me. Fudge

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Thankyou Bill , living in an Arabic country I can see both sides, feeling sorry for the loss of life on 9/11 and the tremendous loss of life in Iraq and Afghanistan both of the young soldiers and the many civilians . I still believe 9/11 could have been prevented if the Bush administration had bothered to connect the dots and forget about going after Iraq.
 This week in London would be airplane bombers have been convicted , mainly because the police and mi5 worked as a team .Also I see that Britain will help the victims of terrorism by the IRA will be able to claim compensation from Lybia who had been helping and financing the IRA for years . The British goverment hadn,t helped them til now ...why? Because Lybia is full of oil and thats what counts, not human suffering ...shame shame on any goverment who puts commodities above the lives of their citizens !!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Vanessa

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:31 PM »
All deaths of innocent people are important, the difference with 9/11 is that we saw them dying, just ordinary people, of all races and creeds. The sight of those people jumping rather than burning will haunt me forever, this was very close to home. Unfortunately innocent deaths in other countries (not just Iraqis), will never touch me in the same way, I had met and seen some of the people who died, I even met someone yesterday who's brother had been at the WTC on the day, he survived. Look what happened with Lockerbie, people are begining to forget the horror of that. Its important to keep reminding people of what has happened, the day we are not moved my innocent deaths such as these is the day the human race has lost hope. Lets put politics to one side, its easy to say they should have done this that or the other, these atrocities happen, and sadly always happen, so for now lets just think of the families of these innocents, they have to live with what they saw for the rest of their lives.
I'm with you Fudge, its a pity more people aren't.

Vanessa

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40 PM »
It's odd why some deaths are deemed more important than others, some people's lives are more expendable than others. Maybe it was because 9/11 was in the USA, we are not allowed to forget it. As Vanessa says, we are more impartial when it comes to media reports of many atrocities in the world. However, the occasions that touch me every time, are the solemn parades of the coffins of our brave lads from Afghanistan in Wootton Bassett, and the absence of any Government representative to honour their passing. It would probably represent an acknowledge of needless sacrifice!! A crying shame!!  Denise

Vanessa

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:27 PM »
What I don't understand is why we are getting these processions now. We didn't have them when our lads died in Northern Ireland and to me their deaths were even more senseless, or was it because they died on home ground and not a foreign country. My friends nephew died in Northern Ireland and he didn't have a procession, they just flew his body home and he was buried, no news coverage nothing in the newspaper, what was the difference between then and now, he still died because he was trying to stop two groups of people who saw religion in a different way from killing each other and killing innocent people at the same time. Funny how people start to see it differently when a foreign country is involved, I must ponder on that. That is after I pause to think about the civilians who died in 9/11, 7/7, and the IRA bombings, all innocent victims of mindless "nutters", you can call then extremists if you want but that's being kind, they are mindless murderers.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I had a 2nd Cousin Killed in the 1st World war and two 2nd cousin and 1 cousin killed in the 2nd . Just a waste the youngest was only 17 The world will never learn Why because of greed or injustice goverment use there people as pawns Fudge