Author Topic: Manchester United F.C.  (Read 286127 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Manchester United F.C.
« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2018, 10:44 PM »
I went to watch City play a home game against Bradford in a FA Cup game.Been a supporter ever since. Iv'e tried to find out the year to no avail!!
I was on my dads shoulders so I was pretty young.
1938 dob.
Out of 2 sons and 4 grand sons for it's 5 to 1 for United.
Booooo!

The game in question, Jaywit, would be the Fourth Round FA Cup game between Manchester City and Bradford Park Avenue which City lost 8-2. This round was played over two legs (to create additional revenue for all clubs who participated that year and after the war years had reduced income for most clubs to almost zero). The first leg had been played on the previous Saturday (26th January 1946) and City had won 3-1. The return game (the second leg) was played on the following Wednesday (30th January 1946) and City would have been expected to add to their goal tally but, clearly, the outcome was not what would have been expected. The aggregate score (9-5) was easily enough to send Bradford into the next round.

No floodlights in those days, so the game would have been played in the afternoon. Given that we were in the depths of winter at the time, it is highly likely that there might have been a 2-00 pm kick off as any later would have meant the game finishing in darkness. Apparently, the pitch was covered in puddles and the Bradford team bus was late arriving at Maine Road having almost been stuck in the snow coming over the Pennines.

The eventual winners of the FA Cup that year were Derby County and, later that same year, the Football League competition resumed its normal format having not been played since war had been declared in 1939.

Hope this helps.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for that Too Shy.
It was cold waiting for the bus to Ashton in Piccadily,the sun had set and the sky was clear.
I'm small now(and the Quack said last checkup that I had shrunk!!!)
all of 5ft. 3in???

Good things come in small packages.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31 PM »
its  hard  to figure united you never know who is going to turn up on any day they  play.. i think the great  one confuses them more than helps them  its time he went and spend some  other clubs  money............go to china cheers

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39 PM »
well united got to the f.a. cup final cheers..

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 05, 2018, 10:55 PM »
so  sorry to hear  sir Alex in hospital after surgery get well soon...

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 06, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Well with todays scores Chelsea 1-0 over Liverpool means that United only need one point to secure 2nd Place.. Will they get it?
Some days they are world beaters and then they put a lousy display like against Brighton.. Mind you all the clubs play some dreary games Watched City make over 30 passes to and fro in the backfield. Talk about boring. That's kind of like training sessions..

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2018, 09:25 PM »
i saw Liverpool and thought they played a poor game seen much better  from them.. i think united will make  second  place.. cheers

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2018, 01:56 AM »
Wayne Rooney has been to visit Sir Alex Ferguson in hospital.

"His speech is improving and he can now just about string a sentence together".

Said Sir Alex.
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25 AM »
hi what can i say better luck next season  :(

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Hi 50 years to day the 1st English club to win the European cup what a day a better night. I had a great day out around London then Wembley I lost my voice stopped on the service station at 3 am and every one was singing congratulation I was still celebrating the next day did anyone else on here go Johnny Aston number 7 had the greatest game of his life he played a cracker

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #460 on: May 30, 2018, 01:19 AM »
I was still at school but I was eagerly anticipating the Isle of Man TT in June, Mike Hailwood v Giacomo Agostini, Mike the bike won the 250, 350 and 500cc races, Ago was 2nd in the 350 and retired in the Senior race.

I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 01, 2018, 04:37 AM »
Zidane would be good for united  bye  bye  money  bags...

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2018, 11:08 AM »
hi are you all set for the next few weeks of football ,the world cup kicked off on thursday with a 5-0 win for the host nation russia how long will england be in it, will they reach the last 16 ??   

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Russia  had an easy game they  wont  get anymore gifts  like  that..just saw  Ronaldo tie Spain  England  should  do  very  well  this  time...  cheers 

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I think England MAY survive to go through from their Group stage ... but after that - I think it will be another disappointment.  As a dual national, LOL,  I have Australia to support too (But don't think they'll survive their Group stage)

Ah well, it seems like a well run competition..... cheers, Larry E.