Author Topic: Manchester United F.C.  (Read 267941 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Manchester United F.C.
« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2018, 10:44 PM »
I went to watch City play a home game against Bradford in a FA Cup game.Been a supporter ever since. Iv'e tried to find out the year to no avail!!
I was on my dads shoulders so I was pretty young.
1938 dob.
Out of 2 sons and 4 grand sons for it's 5 to 1 for United.
Booooo!

The game in question, Jaywit, would be the Fourth Round FA Cup game between Manchester City and Bradford Park Avenue which City lost 8-2. This round was played over two legs (to create additional revenue for all clubs who participated that year and after the war years had reduced income for most clubs to almost zero). The first leg had been played on the previous Saturday (26th January 1946) and City had won 3-1. The return game (the second leg) was played on the following Wednesday (30th January 1946) and City would have been expected to add to their goal tally but, clearly, the outcome was not what would have been expected. The aggregate score (9-5) was easily enough to send Bradford into the next round.

No floodlights in those days, so the game would have been played in the afternoon. Given that we were in the depths of winter at the time, it is highly likely that there might have been a 2-00 pm kick off as any later would have meant the game finishing in darkness. Apparently, the pitch was covered in puddles and the Bradford team bus was late arriving at Maine Road having almost been stuck in the snow coming over the Pennines.

The eventual winners of the FA Cup that year were Derby County and, later that same year, the Football League competition resumed its normal format having not been played since war had been declared in 1939.

Hope this helps.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for that Too Shy.
It was cold waiting for the bus to Ashton in Piccadily,the sun had set and the sky was clear.
I'm small now(and the Quack said last checkup that I had shrunk!!!)
all of 5ft. 3in???

Good things come in small packages.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31 PM »
its  hard  to figure united you never know who is going to turn up on any day they  play.. i think the great  one confuses them more than helps them  its time he went and spend some  other clubs  money............go to china cheers

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39 PM »
well united got to the f.a. cup final cheers..