Author Topic: Book launch, "For Your Delectation and Delight" by David and Philip Williams  (Read 305 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
I can't imagine that Martin would mind me publicising this event. Our local history writing brothers, David and Philip Williams, will be launching their latest book on Saturday 24th August 2019. The title of their latest creation is, "For Your Delectation and Delight" and will be a history of the music halls and theatres of Ashton-under-Lyne from the early 1800s up to the closure of Tameside Hippodrome in 2008. The event will be held inside Ashton Market Hall, by invitation between 11-30 am and 1-30 pm, and from 1-30 pm onwards, a public book signing at the Community Stall within the Market Hall. I believe the book will be on sale at £15.00 per copy. The Williams brothers have produced some quality titles over the years and have contributed tremendously to keeping history alive in and around Ashton-under-Lyne. They are well deserving of our appreciation and support.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Thanks for the 'heads up' with this Too shy - I for one am always interested in books about dear old A-u-L. I already have some books including a reprint of Winifred Bowman's classic from 1950 and a couple about Ashton's trolley buses. I see the book "For Your Delectation and Delight" is advertised on Amazon but 'Currently Unavailable'. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Too shy

• View Profile
You could do worse than getting yourself down to the book-signing, SON (that's providing you live in this area). Also, I believe Hoyd Publishing handle a lot of their output.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
If it wasn’t for the dreadful traffic I’d give it a go but the last time I drove to Ashton (from Lytham) 3 years ago the M61 junction with the M60 was gridlocked and together with a 50mph speed limit on th M60, I was almost late for a funeral at Dukinfield. I don’t think I could face that frustration again. Anyway the last time I set foot in Ashton was 1986 so my passport will have expired.

Too shy

• View Profile
If it wasn’t for the dreadful traffic I’d give it a go but the last time I drove to Ashton (from Lytham) 3 years ago the M61 junction with the M60 was gridlocked and together with a 50mph speed limit on th M60, I was almost late for a funeral at Dukinfield. I don’t think I could face that frustration again. Anyway the last time I set foot in Ashton was 1986 so my passport will have expired.

I appreciate your travel difficulties, SON. I came back from Fleetwood a couple of days ago in a complete downpour plus traffic jams after a three car smash. Why not try Hoyd Publishing?

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
I see from their site the book is due for publication on 24th August.

http://hoydpublishing.simplesite.com/442561330

Too shy

• View Profile
Thanks for providing the link, SON. I'm sure David and Philip would be appreciative. What we have to take into account is that the local historians who provide us with this type of publication (think also of Mike Pavasovic), love their topics and spend hours (sometimes years) researching for their final product. It goes without saying that there may (probably will?) come a time when first hand knowledge of local history (having lived through it) will not be so readily apparent as the "Old Brigade" pop off to meet their maker (think no further than outside toilets, the nit nurse, rag and bone men, raking out the coal fire after the night before - the list is endless). Let's use and appreciate their talents while we've still got them with us.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Yes exactly Too shy. I will order the book from Amazon and have it delivered to my local Post office post free for collection.

Too shy

• View Profile
The book launch on Saturday last was held in one of the meeting rooms inside Ashton Market Hall. It was well attended and seemed to be much enjoyed by those who came along for the event. MC duties were well handled by Philip's son, Ryan and both brothers contributed to a run down on how the book had come about. A quiz with Ashton's theatres as the theme brought some levity to the proceedings which were then concluded by the brothers signing any copies which were purchased on the day. No doubt there will be a write up and accompanying photo in the Reporter newspaper to show that "A Grand Time Was Had By All."

PS The book is filled with facts, stories and photographs reflecting the history of not just the theatres of Ashton but the stars (and lesser stars) who have graced the boards.
PPS I didn't know, until I thumbed through the book, that both Harry Houdini and Charlie Chaplin had both appeared on stage in Ashton.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Thanks for that info Too shy – I would like to have been there. I see from their brief internet biographies that they attended Waterloo Council School, Worthington Street at the same time as me. We could have swopped memories about our time there. Ah well! The book is still ‘not available’ on Amazon. I knew that Charlie Chaplin appeared in one of the Theatres in Oldham but I didn’t know about Ashton.

Too shy

• View Profile
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with Amazon, SON. I have had contact with David and Philip today and they assure me that the book can be ordered through Waterstones and is also available for sale on e.bay. If you have further difficulties, by all means come back to me and I'll see if I can help.