Author Topic: Billy Liar at Ashton Palais  (Read 106 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Billy Liar at Ashton Palais
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
The 1963 black and white film, Billy Liar, was shown on the retro TV channel, Talking Pictures, last night. Many of you will have seen it over the years as it appears to get a re-showing on TV every so often. Many of you, like me, will have seen it on its release in 1963. For you younger listeners, it starred the somewhat quirky, Tom Courtney and the delightful, Julie Christie (whose looks seemed rather ahead of their time). Most people probably wouldn't give it a glance now as it digs and delves into the somewhat erratic life of a Sixties dreamer - sadly set against the rather stark background of the basic lives that folk lived through in that era. Billy finds himself dodging BOTH girlfriends on his night out at the local dancehall - which just happens to be Ashton Palais (certainly the inside, although the outside is a Locarno somewhere or other). When I saw it at one of the Ashton cinemas (can't remember which one) someone would shout out, "Oh, look, there's me...oh, and there's our Harry etc" We were easily pleased.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: Billy Liar at Ashton Palais
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I watched that film on TPTV the other day. If I'd known that Ashton Palais was featured I'd have paid more attention. Will try to catch it next time round. Talking Pictures TV is a fantastic film channel - I watch it most of the time - highly recommended, particularly for those of us who are big on nostalgia.

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Hi All, Hi Son of Nomad, Follow link for Ashton Pally in Billy Liar. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at3HUnfXONE

Just a thought.....

Daftjack.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Thanks daftjack - was that really the interior of Palais? I never went inside so I don't know. The closest I ever got was looking at the building from Old Street. I wonder why they chose Ashton from the many dance halls that must have existed n that era.

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Hi All, Hi Son of Nomad, Yes it was Ashton Palais. That was how it used to look on the inside.

As to why it was chosen? I have no idea sorry.

This is what it looked like on the outside.

Just a thought.....

daftjack.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Thanks daftjack - was that really the interior of Palais? I never went inside so I don't know. The closest I ever got was looking at the building from Old Street. I wonder why they chose Ashton from the many dance halls that must have existed n that era.

I think the filming was largely centred in Bradford - certainly the town centre shots where Billy is out and about with his chum in the lunch hour (and including the stone steps leading down to the undertaker's firm where he is employed) and also the streets leading up to Billy's house. However, they also filmed on the Lancashire side of the Pennines - Julie Christie is seen promenading in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester at one stage and, of course, the football ground is Old Trafford. Why the Palais? It was a typical northern dance hall so must have fitted the bill.

PS The only person I can recall who was included in the Palais filming was a young chap called Barry Wood who lived in Dukinfield not far from me. I spotted him in the You Tube clip.

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 04:48 AM »

I must have gone to the palais many many times but after watching the you tube movie.I hardly rrcognized the place. They must have jazzed the place up from the days I went   there (!942-1950)

I must have gone to the Palais many many times, and seeing the you tube  mavie I they must have jazzed the place up somewhat. I would never have recognized ti at all. I'm talking of the 1943-50 era.

Brian

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49 PM »
I was always amazed that the poprietors of Ashton Palais were able to "get away with it." To me, I always recalled it being, certainly on the outside, a wooden structure where the rudimentary panelling was creasoted in a fairly basic/rough and ready kind of way. I find it hard to believe that the whole jing bang didn't go up in flames years before it actually closed. In this age of health and safety awareness, I don't think it would have made the grade.