Author Topic: Martin.  (Read 632 times)

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
Martin.
« on: July 29, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Hi all, Hi Martin, I see from your post that you have locked (ended) My posts concerning Brexit. This is of course your right. The reason for my posts were twofold.

Firstly: To start a debate concerning Brexit and to air my views (good or bad) concerning our leaving the EU.

Secondly: By any stretch of the imagination the Ashton Forum is as good as the coming Johnson administration (dead). I was trying to help bring back some life into an otherwise geriatric forum.

I have no doubt that some people will say that this is just sour grapes on my part for closing the post. They are entitled to their opinion. This is NOT the case. I remember when we used to have some

great debates (arguments) and discussions (arguments) concerning all kinds of subjects. Alas this is now a thing of the past on the Ashton forum as anyone can see. Since the beginning of the year

(2019) how many INDIVIDUALS have posted? Compare that with how many we used to have. The most online ever was this year yet postings are few and far between. WHY?

Just a thought....

Daftjack.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Martin.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Jack. I am keeping the forum going because there are a few people who don't want to follow other members to Facebook, where discussion about Ashton is very much alive, and also because some people enjoy reading the old discussions from the times when this was a busy forum.

Perhaps it would be better for me to pull the plug and let the forum fade into history?
Martin

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 03:18 AM »
i don"t want  to see that  happen cheers for martin..

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Please don't do that Martin I still like to come on the site Thank you for your time  Fudge

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Hi All, Hi Martin, I would hate to see the forum disappear. I just think it needs people like me (I do not mean that in an arrogant way) to help push it. Nobody has to agree with anything I post but with my last several posts on Brexit over 450 views. We need this kind of debate to bolster the viewership. Hopefully more peope will get involved.

After all Brexit will affect everyone including those who live in Ashton. I do NOT use social media like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp (except blackbook on the dark web) as I find it can be easily hacked. other than the Ashton forum EVERYTHING I use is end to end encrypted (including my phone calls). I just think we need to get into debates that will draw in more (younger) people into the Forum. Therefore I suggest a NEW item added to the forum called politics.

Just a thought....

Daftjack.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 12:04 PM »
For what its worth, I have offered my view previously about this kind of thing; there are three topics which invariable cause friction and unpleasantness on forums i.e. politics, religion and royalty (and B****t?). I therefore strongly advise not to go near any of those subjects on here. I log on to this forum almost every day and although I have never met any of the Ashton posters I do feel a kind of bond and consider there is some kind of friendship amongst us. As daftjack says we need younger Ashtonians to participate more but creating controversy is not the way to go.

The country is now divided like I have never known. I genuinely fear for the future not because were leaving the EU but how it has provoked anger and hostility in our parliament and elsewhere amongst colleagues. So lets keep the forum as it is because I for one would definitely miss it should it disappear (I too avoid Facebook, Twitter and the like). I would like to thank Martin for doing a great job for us Ashtonians all these years.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 02:33 PM »
i agree with son keep away from politics . religion royalty   and b s   and keep smiling . cheers

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I stopped posting things because I rarely got any feedback, at the most two comments, it doesn't inspire me to post, I have two pages on Facebook, one is my videos and photos of Ashton, the other is my art page and I admin an Ashton group, this forum used to be on my list to post but I often forget to, simply because of the lack  feedback, I only looked today because I needed to search for a previous subject to answer a question. I also haven't forgotten the abuse I got from certain members.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Hi All, I have to be honest and say for me, the Ashton Forum was and is, the best out there. Today we live in a country that Mary Whitehouse would be proud to call home. If you criticize a jew, you are an Anti Semite. If you criticize a Muslim you are islamaphobic. If you criticize someone from the LGBT community, cover your ears.

Today in Britain there is no such thing as free speech. As much a I detest all that America stand for, they at least have the 1st Amendment. We live in a country today that is not much different than the one that was envisioned by George Orwell all those years ago (with his thought police). If we get to the stage where we cannot talk about politics (or any other subject) due to it being considered 'controversial' on Forums like this, then the thought police have won, and it is time to take to the streets.

Every single person on earth is entitled to his/her/its opinion. Once we start to take that away then why do we need a brain? We might as well lay down and die (very much like the Ashton Forum).

Just a thought....

Daftjack.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Hi All, I have to be honest and say for me, the Ashton Forum was and is, the best out there. Today we live in a country that Mary Whitehouse would be proud to call home. If you criticize a jew, you are an Anti Semite. If you criticize a Muslim you are islamaphobic. If you criticize someone from the LGBT community, cover your ears.

Today in Britain there is no such thing as free speech. As much a I detest all that America stand for, they at least have the 1st Amendment. We live in a country today that is not much different than the one that was envisioned by George Orwell all those years ago (with his thought police). If we get to the stage where we cannot talk about politics (or any other subject) due to it being considered 'controversial' on Forums like this, then the thought police have won, and it is time to take to the streets.

Every single person on earth is entitled to his/her/its opinion. Once we start to take that away then why do we need a brain? We might as well lay down and die (very much like the Ashton Forum).

Just a thought....

Daftjack.

You're moaning again, Jack.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Hi All, Hi Too Shy, I am beginning to think you are a bit of a stalker.......rather creepy, don't you think?

Just a thought.....

daftjack.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 10:56 AM »
its very true you can read old letters I came on one the other day I was  looking for the Cake a Pie mill and came across a letter from GG it had my in tears  Thanks Martin

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Hi all, This is your future.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/04/liz-truss-trade-deal-food-safety-deregulation

Another Tory Minister having SECRET meetings with American right wing groups. just Like Priti Patel having SECRET meetings with the right wing Israeli Government. WHY?  Is there no SHAME with this Government???

Just a thought....

Daftjack.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Hello Jack.

I suspect it may be a year or two since you set foot in this town of ours (and yours) and so, assuming that's the case, the following should give you some idea of its current state.

Such is its perfection, Ashton no longer needs comments indicating otherwise and all criticism of how things are, constructive or otherwise is superfluous.

Also, since many of the voices of those with influence and power hereabouts sing from the same hymn sheet, no additional tunes are required.

I'd like to add "Just a thought" but even thinking is gradually becoming a dodgy thing to do in this PC world of ours.

Regards,

Bill

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Hi All Hi Bill , You would be wrong. I Live in 'Greater manchester' -  that would qualify as an oxymoron. (Uppermill to be exact for the last two years) I have seen with my own eyes what Ashton and surrounding areas have become.

No offence but it was never 'my Town'. I lived in Ashton but was born in Glasgow. I have always been a staunch Scotland supporter. The Ashton of my youth has gone forever. Crushed by the stupidity and short sightedness of the PC brigade. (as you say Bill) Today it is full of Kardashian clones and love island wannabe's.

Just a thought....

Daftjack.