Author Topic: Stamford Park Conservatory  (Read 123 times)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Stamford Park Conservatory
« on: July 24, 2019, 10:51 AM »
I see from the local TV news that Stamford Park conservatory is for the chop. Such a pity that it was allowed to get into the state it apparently now is. I photographed it in 1981 when it was also threatened see photos at

http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/photos/gallery31.htm

Is nothing sacred? I suppose it is a near miracle that it has had almost 40 years extra life.

brian seward

• View Profile
Re: Stamford Park Conservatory
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:41 PM »
No northing is sacred anymore  People think if something is over 50 yrs old it should be demolished. It is haappening everywhere Solution?  Justfight back as much as you can.
I looked with interest at the pictures of the Park ,I remember as a child sitting on the stones in front of the stocks. They were worn down then by thousands of folk sitting on them.  Which was the same at Ladysmith barracks where the Sentries marched 20 paces up and down all day and the walkway was worn away.  Is it still to be seen?

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 05:28 PM »
they  call it  progress marches  on..

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:18 PM »
It's sad to see mega-bucks splurged on other projects when something that a lot of people really got pleasure from is allowed to go to ruin.
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Im going to die, Im refuse to pass. I want people to say Im dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Ill haunt.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I don't know if you might have kept up with the ongoing debate on this one, Kiwi, but I'm not sure it's as straightforward as some critics are making out. When the conservatory was renovated (?) some years ago (1980s?), I believe that the original metal structure/framework was replaced by wood, and it's this wood which has deteriorated to such an extent that it has become unsafe. Presumably, if that is accurate, then the Council's job is to decide if they have sufficient funding to be able to do a straight swap (wood for wood). Back in the 1980s, presumably, local government had enough cash floating around to be able to fund projects like that but, seemingly, not so now.

An indicator that an issue like this might occur, is the state of the park generally. I haven't been in for a couple of years but it was looking rather "tatty" even then (lawns needing attention, flower borders similarly looking sparse and uninspiring). The main concern until now had been the removal of boats on the lake (the main complaint being the removal of the passenger boat, "Sunflower?") - yet again not enough funding. Also, staff numbers have been reduced, so you are asking perhaps four men to do the work which had previously, and over the years,  been done by nine or ten - the work just can't be done on such a meagre workforce.

Yes, a beautiful old building that has charmed and fascinated families of children and their parents for many generations but, if they can't find the money, they can't find the money. Perhaps another generous benefactor needs to be found. Ashton, and Stalybridge, like the surrounding towns, grew their wealth from massive industries which declined and has now almost totally disappeared. The cotton millowners and foundry owners, through their philanthropy, pumped money back into the towns - it was the nature of the times. I don't think those people are around any more - it just doesn't work like that in the modern era.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 11:03 AM »
 i think it goes back to the old saying   A stitch in time   just neglect it until it is not worth saving and it will not be the last I can think of plenty that have gone the same way.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 12:33 PM »
It seems that public recreational facilities are always a soft target. Perhaps Boris can spare a few thousand from the megabucks he's promising for the police, armed forces, Scotland, Wales etc. and do the decent thing for the good folks of Ashton. (thinks:" yeh, right")