Author Topic: UPPERMILL  (Read 22432 times)

greeny

• View Profile
UPPERMILL
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:35 AM »
hi had a good day out yeasterday its great for us grans and grandads took the grand kids to upper mill , theres a great little park there with a enclosed swings and roundabout, also a nice field for the kids to run wild , an to be more aventurist there are stepping stones accross the river where theres a nice stretch of the canal , with plenty of duck to feed , and a very nice interesting museum the kids loved it , its a while since i was up there ,and plenty of little cafe to rest your weary legs and have a nice cuppa tea ,also wednesday must be market day ,a quaint little market at theres was a great stall selling preserves , also bardge trips along the canal , there were plenty of pubs along the main drag with seating outside ,i bet its different again when iits raining , and the great countryside on the way there , so much to offer on our doorstep well recomended for a nice few hours out of the rat race  :D

Albert

Re: UPPERMILL
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:34 PM »
 Had you been up at Uppermill the other Sunday you would have seen
 the Lancaster bomber flying round they had an American weekend
  Albert

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:04 PM »
I remember working up there years ago and trying to find a baker's shop - in vain.  Although there were plenty of craft shops and that sort of thing.  Is it Yuppyfied or is it just my imagination?
There's a baker's shop right on the corner of the square, opposite the Methodist Church! There always seems to be a queue in there, so it must be good!
Martin

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Had a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon walk/pub crawl in June from Mossley to the Standedge Tunnel Portal and back, great scenery and by eck, there's still a lot of pubs in that area  ;D

My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:44 AM »
hi i believe its rush cart week up and round uppermill this week end , and if you like morris dancers there are about forty troopes , from around the country doing there bit , from pub to pub round and about the uppermill area ,  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushcart

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:45 PM »
after looking on the blog,I found this site,couldn't find in my temp files so I had to do a new search not even knowing where I found it.
http://saddleworthbuses.fotopic.net/c1007833.html
Some expats may find it interesting.

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:23 PM »
looked at the pics a reli named shaw lived up there i can remember at about 5 or 6 going to his house the garden was the other side of the road and the land slopped way down the side of the hill.

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:02 AM »
When we left Oldham to live here in Australia december 1963 Oldham corporation buses served Greenfield Uppermill Delph and Dobcross.Manchester Corporation allso ran buses in to Greenfield they used to terminate at Clarence Hotel.
I drove for WHSmith the Wholesale Newsagents All around Saddleworth Mossley Stalybridge And Ashton delivering the Papers to Newsagents in the early hours of the mornings hail rain snow and fog.
Kevin

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:48 PM »
hi that time of the year again on monday i was giving uppermill a visit ,they are doing a lot of work on the roadside through mossley sheering up the banks with stone walls ,uppermill as become a town of charity shops and cafe ,but ist still worth a visit the sun was shining the place was packed ,there were lots of union jacks and american flags and bunting out side shops and pubs , i wonder we were getting any american visitors ? :)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:04 PM »
uppermill as become a town of charity shops and cafe ,but ist still worth a visit the sun was shining the place was packed ,there were lots of union jacks and american flags and bunting out side shops and pubs , i wonder we were getting any american visitors ? :)

No - you just missed Yanks Weekend!
Photos - More photos.
Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I used to live in Diggle, next door to Uppermill, leaving in 1984. Uppermill was quite a tourist draw even then with cafes and craft shops etc.
My wife has a retirement flat to sell there that belonged to her late parents. It has a nice view of a duck pond and its own car park space but thanks to the recession, is still on the market after 4 years. Despite it being empty and unfurnished she still has to pay council tax on it which is bloody disgraceful. There was a time when it would have been snapped up but thanks to greedy banks and the rest of them she has to throw money into what seems like a bottomless pit.
Sorry for this rant. Long live Uppermill! 

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:07 AM »
I remember doing some work many years ago at Saddleworth Comprehensive and popping into Uppermill for a sandwich.  I found loads of craft shops but couldn't find a baker's shop and ended up, on my knees with hunger, in a Chinese chippy.  I got the impression that the tourists had to bring their own food. :)

That's very strange, Bill. You must have come out of the side entrance from the school to avoid walking past Buckley's bakery, right in the square by the bus stops. [See Google Street View of shop.] Bread, cakes, pies, sandwiches. I think there is a bakery at the back of the shop. It was definitely there in 1975 and had been there for a long time before that!
Martin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:53 AM »
We used to practise this when I was learning morse for my radio amateur class A licence ( before they started giving them away on cereal boxes  :-\ )

Ken Dods Dads Dog Died Disco Dancing in Diggle  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I had a wander round last summer and walked from the main Huddersfield road through Diggle to Uppermill.  As nice as the area is, I couldn't live there - too remote and lacking in amenities.  My priorities have changed a lot over the years and having most of what I need in Ashton, within walking distance, suits me well.

That bakery shop Martin has indicated has been there a very long time. At the other end of the block was/is a chinese take-away. When I lived in Diggle around 1980 there were two pubs, a very dodgy chip shop and that was about it in Diggle. I always said that Saddleworth was a culinary desert and I have no reason to think it has changed.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39 PM »
hi great photos of the american week , does any on e know what the connections ? with uppermill and america some one said it was somthing to do when they filmed yanks staring richard gere , could this be true  :)