Author Topic: LOSING GREAT FRIENDS.  (Read 328 times)

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
LOSING GREAT FRIENDS.
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Hi All, I have not been on this site for a while, apologies.

In the last three years I have lost three of my closet friend's who I  had known for many year's. Two of them I had not seen for 25 or more years, but they were part of my teenage years.

The three are:

James (Jimmy) Fletcher.
Terence (Terry) Peters.
Brian (Bengy) barber.

All came off palace Road. My world, and that of their families are forever that little bit darker.
We grew up together in the '60's. Life was full of love and laughter (and a great many hangovers)
I can only say, we will NEVER see their like again. Love and Affection always, We three kings.

Daftjack. XXXX.

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: LOSING GREAT FRIENDS.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 11:38 AM »
So sorry to here your sad news people who I have known for many years are now passing on and it is always a emotional time Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36 PM »
Hi jack what a loss I knew two of them went to school with terry peters so sad

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:18 AM »
Sorry to hear that DJ, I guess it's all part of getting older, I lost a very dear friend just before Xmas last year, we went to secondary school together and caught up again after nearly 45 years, it was amazing finding out things about each other and all our common interests and background. It's strange how life works out.
RIP Joan  :'(
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Hi All, Thanks for the replies.

When I think of all the people I used to know, who lived on Palace Road and have now passed. I remember walking up Penny Meadow then Whiteacre Road, getting to Palace Road after a night at the 'Pally". What used to normally take about twenty minutes, would take about two hour's (lots of Double Diamond and Whisky at the Pally). We would walk up Palace Road about 1or 2 am, singing whatever song was in the top ten. (Neighbour's, not impressed, especially Mrs Jackson). I have been to Palace Road lately, and I have to say in all honesty, It, like Ashton, is not what it used to be.
In the '60's the heart of Ashton was the Market, the word Vibrant, comes to mind. When last I saw it, it looked like the dying part of an old town, no character.
I know people will say, yes this is progress, a life cycle if you will, But I cannot believe that the youngsters of today, have the same community spirit we had in our day, (even on Palace Road, people were proud of it, we used terms of endearment like 'convicts Corner' or 'Debters retreat') but I could be wrong.
Greeny, I remember you very well, great guy.

Regards,

Daftjack.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Hi jack you right when you say Ashton not the same as it was back in the 60,s I don't call it progress the viberant of the markets gone no pally anymore  I remember you very well can you remember waker not seen him for years and many more old friends I often wonder what they are up to like you say the youngsters of today will never have what we had. There was so much going on stay well regards greeny

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Hi All, This topic and comments made sparks many memories for me; Circa the 50's, 60's and 70's - in Ashton.

Contemplation;  Be there for Others, but never leave Yourself behind.

All the best,
Larry E

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I didn't live on Palace road but Leech ave we moved in 1939 just before the war,I had a few mates on palace road Tommy Cunningham Harry Barber the Davies family and Graham Sidebottom not a mate older than me  would he be related? I don't know what happen to our house no 45 but it as gone.I think we had more police than Palace road the only two I remember were the two that lived in the first two houses Sgt Marshel and Sgt Smith 

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Hi Albert, Graham Sidebottom off Palace Road was my uncle. Was Harry Barber, Bengy barber's older brother?

Regards,,

Daftjack.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Hi Greeny,  I have not seen Waker since the '60's. But I remember him well.
Regards,
Daftjack.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 10:09 PM »
LCGI, Yes, It was a great time to be young, the '50's and '60's.

Regards,

Daftjack.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Hi Kiwi, It's true what you say, the people you shared your youth with, you remember all your life. Even if you have not seen them in many years.
I never had a friend who did not brighten my life up in some way or other. And with each passing my heart gets a little bit more crowded.

Regards,

Daftjack.