Author Topic: Robertson's jam  (Read 445 times)

brian seward

• View Profile
Robertson's jam
« on: May 05, 2018, 06:03 PM »
  By Golly, I was in a store yesterday and on the Import shelf was a bottle of Robertson's jam.  Are they still in business? and I recall when I was Young many years ago They used to give out lapel badges when you sent in so many labels! which also got me to thinking if anyone has one of the badges or can be they obtained ?.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Re: Robertson's jam
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:41 PM »
My Mom used to work at Robertson Jam Works way, way back (before WW2) and so when I was a very little girl I had a few lapel "gollywog" badges.  I loved them.   With my habit of "keeping everything" I get my hands, why, oh why didn't I save one for now?   Sorry Brian.   ;D ;D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:22 PM »
if you google Robertson"s jam  you will get some info .. i also read a couple of weeks ago a landlord had a pup in England i think and he had a very large collection of the golly"s behind his bar although some people complained he told them they could get the beer at other pubs if they wish...

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:12 AM »
My Mum used to work at Robbies in the 70's, she used to peel the gooseberries and she'd often take the gollies for a stroll along the canal bank at dinner times.
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:10 PM »
The Tameside Museum has quite a good collection of Gollies in their Robertson's show case.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:05 PM »
  By Golly, I was in a store yesterday and on the Import shelf was a bottle of Robertson's jam.  Are they still in business? and I recall when I was Young many years ago They used to give out lapel badges when you sent in so many labels! which also got me to thinking if anyone has one of the badges or can be they obtained ?.

Are you sure that it was jam that you saw on the "import" shelf, Brian? Ferret about on the internet, and we seem to be told that Robertsons ceased their production of jam a few years back when they closed down the Droylsden factory in favour of concentrating on their Hartyleys jam. This is perhaps one of the "dangers" of reputable household names getting bought out by a somewhat larger conglomerates who then have to decide what to do with their surplus production now that they have bought out the opposition. However, the name of Robertsons does still feature in their production of various marmalades. They now appear to be owned by an American concern - is nothing sacred? The warning signs were around some years ago when HP Sauce went to a French set up. They also stopped the write up in French on the label - all I can remember is "cette sauce de haute qualite..." Anyone remember the rest?