Author Topic: Recipe for 'Tater Ash'  (Read 1015 times)

LCGI

• View Profile
Recipe for 'Tater Ash'
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:57 AM »
Howdy to all,
Yesterday (here in OZ) was pancake tuesday... and we all continue to enjoy those - hey?

Therefore today being ash wednesday.... when I was a lad in Ashton (1950-60's) my Mam used to make Tater Ash - for our evening meal and I'm sure many here may still enjoy?

Can anyone help me with the genuine local recipe for Tater Ash - so that we (here in OZ) can continue with this wonderful food.

Have a nice day....

Regards,
Larry.E

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Recipe for 'Tater Ash'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Pancake day and as always Mrs Kiwi has made them too thin.

I shouldn't have to put up with this crepe.
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:26 PM »
Tater Ash is made to people's liking some like it made with corn beef some mince meat some diced steak Me I prefer it with mince or corn beef  I like carrots and onion in mine as well hope you find what you like  LCGI Fudge

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Tater Ash is made to people's liking some like it made with corn beef some mince meat some diced steak Me I prefer it with mince or corn beef  I like carrots and onion in mine as well hope you find what you like  LCGI Fudge
Hi Fudge...... yes, I appreciate your comments about the Meat.... but I seek the basic RECIPE.... Anyone ?

All responses kindly accepted

LCGI

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:38 PM »
google  tatta  ash...  you will  get a few  ideas... 

burlington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Hi,
I remember tater hash very well and make it as I remember from childhood some 60 years ago. The actual ingredient quantities are variable according to taste I think. I am sure there is no definitive recipe but what I will do is make it again as I usually do but this time measure all ingredients and record timings then send you my method.
I am sure the way I make it will be very similar to the way other Ashton residents have made it but I have no claim to any authenticity as I just make it as it was done at home in Ashton. Burlington.

Made Tater Hash today, so here is my take on it.

Ingredients.

700gm of potatoes cut into half golf ball sized pieces
300gm of onions roughly chopped
300gm of carrots sliced into 0.5 thick "coins"
600gm beef mince
1 litre of beef stock ( I used a litre of water plus two Beef Oxo cubes )
Salt
Black pepper

1. Brown the mince making sure it is thoroughly broken up.
2. Put all the ingredients, including the stock, mixed thoroughly, into a suitably sized pan and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce to a medium simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked. Test by pricking them with the point of a knife. They should be soft.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You might need to add more fluid during the cooking process if it seems to be drying up.
Also try adding Worcestershire sauce.

I would be interested to see if this is similar to how other people remember it. Enjoy.

burlington

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 02:25 PM »
If anyone makes this recipe, please let me have your opinions, polite please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Burlington.

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Hi,
I remember tater hash very well and make it as I remember from childhood some 60 years ago. The actual ingredient quantities are variable according to taste I think. I am sure there is no definitive recipe but what I will do is make it again as I usually do but this time measure all ingredients and record timings then send you my method.
I am sure the way I make it will be very similar to the way other Ashton residents have made it but I have no claim to any authenticity as I just make it as it was done at home in Ashton. Burlington.

Made Tater Hash today, so here is my take on it.

Ingredients.

700gm of potatoes cut into half golf ball sized pieces
300gm of onions roughly chopped
300gm of carrots sliced into 0.5 thick "coins"
600gm beef mince
1 litre of beef stock ( I used a litre of water plus two Beef Oxo cubes )
Salt
Black pepper

1. Brown the mince making sure it is thoroughly broken up.
2. Put all the ingredients, including the stock, mixed thoroughly, into a suitably sized pan and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce to a medium simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked. Test by pricking them with the point of a knife. They should be soft.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You might need to add more fluid during the cooking process if it seems to be drying up.
Also try adding Worcestershire sauce.

I would be interested to see if this is similar to how other people remember it. Enjoy.

Hi Burlington... and thank you for this contribution I will pass it on to my wife who I'm sure will give it a go soon.

Much appreciated,

Larry E. (kenyon st kid)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Many thanks for your detailed recipe, Burlington!!  We also had this Tater Ash at home before I came to Canada, and been making this great meal for donkey's years, except for some reason in Canada they call it "Stew". 

I used all the same ingredients as Burlington's recipe above though, except I used steak cut into small cubes instead of minced meat.  These little steak cubes were first really well-browned in butter in the saucepan together with the diced onions, and then boiling water poured into the pan to make the lovely brown "gravy" part.  This was then simmered for as long as it took to tenderize the meat, and I often then set it aside for later finishing towards meal-time.    About half an hour before we wanted to eat, I then added all the vegetables, that is potatoes and carrots cut up into small pieces, and also added salt and black pepper to taste.   I don't really like the taste of Oxo cubes so I didn't use those for flavoring.  Depending on how I felt, I sometimes added a little ordinary gravy thickening, or perhaps the next day (for the leftovers) I would add a few quite small dumplings which cooked while heating things up.   V-e-r-y tasty, and yet I don't make it too often now, just being alone, but it certainly makes me want it for dinner tonight!    ;D ;D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46 PM »
but  if  you  put  a  crust  on  top  its  tate  pie..  cheers

burlington

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Just a thought. It takes about five minutes in a pressure cooker. Burlington.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51 PM »
My spud hash is made with one of my frozen Beef Stews as the main part.
plus added potatoes and carrots.Cooked fresh,
if I'm lucky we have a crust on(wife says it's fattening)

BEEF STEW.
Shin,bone in,(shank here) kidney,(used to use oxtail but seems too expensive just for the gravy content) hence pigs trotters,mushrooms,onions  a few veg,carrots,turnip(white) rutabaga (swede)various squash,not to much veg as they go into the gravy after pressure cooking 35 mins.

packed in 4 portion containers and frozen.
1 container makes 2 meals.spud hash,one night Stew chips and peas (sometimes mushy) another.
Pea soup is another  story!!!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 03:57 PM »
I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.
A robust Aus Shiraz in it ,and also with it.
bon appetite!!!!

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28 AM »
I didn't think there was a recipe for Tater Hash. I thought it just accumulated! Still tasted good. Cheers, Ayess

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14 AM »
there are plenty of recipes on  google  tatta  ash