Author Topic: Age  (Read 305 times)

brian seward

• View Profile
Speaking of the war years, I am now in my 91st year, and here in my local Canadian Legion I am the youngest of a fast diminishing group "Veterans of the Second world war." Are there many left in Ashton??

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Age
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I can't speak for Ashton, Brian, but, in nearby Mossley, there have been less and less veterans turning out for the Remberance Day parade to and from the cenotaph in Mossley Park. Only a few years back, there was half a dozen or so WWII veterans from the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (although the regiment was based in Halifax, I believe they recruited in Mossley). In recent years, their numbers appear to have declined and now their regimental wreath is laid by a younger relative of one of the former veterans. This year, I saw only one chap who might have come into the veterans' category. There are still a number around but, presumably, their health prevents them from turning out to every outdoor event (especially on a bitterly cold day in early November). Who knows how many we might see in twelve months.