Author Topic: Mayors of Ashton  (Read 138 times)

earlofrossall

• View Profile
Mayors of Ashton
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Would any members have any information on previous mayors of Ashton-under-Lyne.  I have a particular interest in a JOHN HOLLAND or maybe JOHN CORRINGTON HOLLAND.  The former is the son of the latter.

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Mayors of Ashton
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Hi I have found the birth of a John Carrington Holland born 1883 in Ashton mothers maiden name Howard that is the only one close to Corrington been on a site looking for Mayors in Ashton but none showing a John Holland see if I can dig deeper Fudge

earlofrossall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Many thanks, have that birth too, along with son in 1908.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:15 PM »
1911 census John Corrington Holland was maried to Sarah Jane Dooley there were two children living John Holland  and a sister Mary Beatrice 2 children had died Fudge

earlofrossall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:40 AM »
Yep agree I have all this info thanks. I am trying to ascertain if a John Holland actually became mayor of Ashton and if so when?

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I've checked my copy of Winifred Bowman's book 'Five Thousand Acres of Old Ashton' thinking it might help but no luck. She does give lists of other obscure official posts going way back but unfortunately no mayoral information.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:33 AM »
And there is nothing showing up for Mayors in Ashton or the other areas next time I am in the Archives I will check there Fudge

earlofrossall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Very many thanks Fudge, much appreciated.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Hi I have been to the Archives today they had a brilliant book with all the Mayors in from 1847 in Ashton and other districts up till they became Mayors of Tameside and it listed them There was just one John Holland he was Mayor from 1964 - 1965 He cold be the relative it would have made him about 55 years old  hope this helps you Fudge

earlofrossall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Very many thanks Fudge, that's terrific news. I am eternally grateful.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:20 PM »
You are welcome I have had help in the past and now if I can help anyone I will  Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Was at the Archives yesterday I have the front page cover of the Reporter I don't know if you knew he was knocked down near his home on a sunday night and he died early hours monday  he had also he was dept Mayor 1966 1967 there is a photo of him and it tells you about his career and his wife name May and son John he was 65 gives his funeral date  and were he was living his funeral was on friday 17th May 1974 Fudge