Author Topic: 1930's = 1940's Game - Pegotty  (Read 425 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
1930's = 1940's Game - Pegotty
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:49 PM »
Hi, you Oldies - or at least anyone who was around during WWII!   :)       

I'm re-reading a series of really good U.K. books by Elizabeth Jane Howard about a family, (the Cazalets), and their activities and lifestyle during WWII.    Both young children and even older grown-ups mention they will  "have a game of "Pegotty"!   That's the correct spelling.   

I do not remember such a game in my early years and wondered if any of you very smart people can?   They lived both in London and Essex, but I'm sure it wasn't just relative to that area of the U.K. 

I've already searched the internet in several ways, but not one item has turned up a real answer, or even a mention (except as a person's name in a different book).     Now it's bugging the daylights out of me - was it a card game, a board game, or something else?   I thought I knew most of the games of those days in the U.K. but this one has stumped me.  Any answers would be very much appreciated, please and thank you   Joyce   ;D ;D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
Re: 1930's = 1940's Game - Pegotty
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:44 AM »
we used to play a game called peggy  or  piggy you used a thing like a bung out of a barrelhit the tapered end with a stick when it rose in the air you had to hit it as far as you could then give the other team so many strides to reach it if they did it they won the pionts

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:04 PM »
That's right KENNETHO - we used to play the game on the football pitch at Waterloo Council School (Waterloo Primary School now I think). You cut 3 inches off the end of a broom handle, taper one end and place this 'peggy' on a pile of bricks so the tapered end protrudes off the bricks. Then you hit the point with a stout stick and whack it when it (hopefully) flips into the air. You then offer your opponent a number of strides between the base and where the peggy lands. If they succeed they get the points otherwise you get the points. Of course the trick is to just underestimate the number of strides possible so you maximise your points. Simple pleasures but a good game. (I'm not sure if this answers Joyce's question though).

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Thanks so much for your replies SofN and Kennetho. 

I too remember that particular game you both described, except we had a bought "peg" that had a round flat top and sort of straight wooden piece attached underneath (about two inches long) that had a little metal ball at the bottom.  Then you had a whip attached to a stick, wound this leather whip around the base of the peg, and hoped it would fly off and then spin for a long time while you kept whipping the base to keep it going. 

That was all I could remember of what we used to call our version of "peggy" , but the children in the book and, more importantly, two old ladies saying that "they would have a game afterwards", didn't seem to me to be either of what I remembered, or your own two explanations.  Perhaps it was just the name for something quite different than what we played around 1937/38, etc.   The reason I say that is again because I can't see two old ladies (in their 70's) firing off the "peg" and then guessing the number of strides it would take to reach it.     :o :o   Joyce  ;D

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Hi joyce could pegotty been a card game where you had all the cards face down and you had to get match by turning two cards over? If that's not it someone will come up with your your answer i know that games played in different parts of the country had had a different name but I found the games that were made up were the best  ;D

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52 PM »
From Wikipedia

Pegity is a board game similar to Gomoku and tic-tac-toe, and is intended for two to four players. Parker Brothers introduced the game in 1925,[1] and continued to produce it through the 1960s. The box includes wooden pegs in four colors and a cardboard game board divided into a 16 by 16 grid. The object of the game is for a player to place five pegs of a single color in a row, vertically, horizontally, or diagonally. Its instructions also included patterns for creating designs on the game board as an alternative to playing the game.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Hi Greeny and Kiwi......I think it more likely that what you suggested and describe as a card game could be the very one mentioned in the context of the book.  It sounds much more reasonable for more than one person and of various ages to be playing it.  Thanks, so much!!   Now I can at least reasonably rest my brain thinking of it.   ;D

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Hi Joyce, Yes we used to play Peggy with the "peggy" and the stick. What you were describing was a "Whip and Top". You curled the strap of the whip around the top and, if you were agile enough, you flipped the whip, got the top spinning and whipped it along. Clever kids could keep it going for quite a time. I don't know what today's children would think of our entertainment, but we had fun didn't we?

Sorry for being late with the answer, Has a week in hospital. On he mend now though. Stay well (me included) Ayess

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Get well son Ayess Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 11:07 AM »
hi the best free game that i played was hide and seek still enjoyed to day there were so many ,who invented them and how long have they been going what was your favourite ? :)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:13 PM »
KICK  CAN  WHIP

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Remember playing "Splits" using a kitchen knife - anyone?

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Glad you're feeling much better. Ayess and do hope you didn't have anything that will recur.     After reading your reply - I feel pretty good that I was one of the "clever kids" because I could keep my top going for quite a while. 
I also remember kick the can and lots of the other outdoor games....hop scotch, etc. with an empty tin from my Dad's Cherry Blossom shoe polish, along with all the small ball games.   However, I know one thing for certain, LCGI - I'd have been given "what for" had I used a kitchen knife to play with for anything at all.    :o :o :o    I think I liked the skipping rope and various hop scotch games best (the latter using an old worn out broom handle) , except when I finally got a pair of ball-bearing roller skates from Lewis's in Picadilly for 4/11.ha'penny and I thought I was in heaven.   Immediately went out and skated in the pouring rain on Stanley St. (behind Ashton Old Road in Higher Openshaw,  because it was concrete as I recall!   8)
We also had a few winter indoor board games like Snakes & Ladders, etc. given to us as Christmas presents by various aunts and uncles, and one I can't remember the name of, but you had a whole bunch of spills of various colours.   My brothers had a Meccano set too but I wasn't allowed to touch that -  :D.  Sacred boy's territory I was made to understood!   ???

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Remember playing "Splits" using a kitchen knife - anyone?

Also known as "Split the Kipper." I shudder to think how it got that name!

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Never heard of "splits" before....what on earth was it for?   What was the point - or end result?  and besides the kitchen knife, what did you use and what was the intent?   ???