Author Topic: Green bin Collection  (Read 544 times)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Green bin Collection
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Well, Fylde Borough Council recently told residents here that we will have to pay 25 this year (starting from 1st June) to have our green bin collected rising to 30 next year because of withdrawal of some subsidy or other. I am not prepared to pay it so will have to find other ways to dispose of my lawn cuttings. Has Tameside MBC threatened residents with this sort of thing over there?

jaywit

• View Profile
Re: Green bin Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Paying for rain landing on the roof here.
My grass cuttings are either composted or mulched.Garden waste every other week,green bin weekly,recyclables every other week,rubbish same same.
The city are after every "cashcow"they can milk to pay the wages for the PC hired workforce complying to "Parkinson's Law Of Progress" relating to the Establishment.
http://www.economist.com/node/14116121

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Paying for rain landing on the roof here.
My grass cuttings are either composted or mulched.Garden waste every other week,green bin weekly,recyclables every other week,rubbish same same.
The city are after every "cashcow"they can milk to pay the wages for the PC hired workforce complying to "Parkinson's Law Of Progress" relating to the Establishment.
http://www.economist.com/node/14116121

Yes mate ...... this is a worldwide trend

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:18 AM »
Here in London (Ontario), we have "Green" collection week about once every 5 or 6 weeks from May to some time in early Dec, usually after all the leaves are down from the trees.   Some people put out as many as 30 or 40 brown-paper bags at that time - no charge, although you have to buy your own paper bags.  No pickup throughout the winter except one for live Christmas trees.     No limit to the number of bags, but....you absolutely can't put grass clippings out for pickup!!   I don't personally have a problem because for the last 4 or 5 years I pay a company who look after my lawns (old age finally caught up with me) and they take all the clippings away.  Of course, I imagine their charge to me includes where they eventually dump all that grass.   
The rest of the time, we have blue boxes for recyclable containers with a separate one for only paper items, every 10 days or so (the City supply each area with pickup-day calendars)  and then of course there's the regular garbage "trash" pickup on the same day but it can only be up to three containers per household and be of a certain weight.  Can't have any workers lifting heavy containers!
 Even if you take your grass clippings to one of the waste depots yourself, they still charge you one dollar per plastic bag.   So far we don't have any separate collection for food waste.  They're still arguing about that in City Hall.    I haven't done any composting myself because of the wild animals I get around my property as I live right next to what was once dense woods.   Got a groundhog taken up residence under my back door-step at the moment, along with all the chipmunks and squirrels, etc.   Life is never dull around here in my back yard!  :o  The robins have just brought their young ones to my birdbath this week, along with the cardinals and bluejays and other species like yellow finches and beautiful little hummingbirds..      The groundhog ate all the blossoms off my lovely ground phlox a week or so ago tho....miserable creature that he or she is!  ???  They must taste sweet!

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:08 AM »
WE HAD A ROBIN WHO WOULD COME TO THE BIRD FOOD HERE AT THE BEACH THEN HE WOULD KINDLY LEAVE A PRESENT ON THE CARS  SO MY DAUGHTER COVERED THE CAR  MIRROS WITH PLASTIC BAGS  SO HE DECIDED TO GO ELSEWHERETO LEAVE A GIFT...

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Hi here in tamside the green bin is land fill which is collected  every other week and its the brown bin that we put our green waste in garden waste and food waste which is collected every week I have heard that Trafford council are going to charge 40 a year for garden waste more fly tipping ? We have a blue bin for cardboard and paper and a black bin for glass tin cans and plastic bottles .which I give the guys who collect it top marks they do a fantastic job  :D

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Hi here in tamside the green bin is land fill which is collected  every other week and its the brown bin that we put our green waste in garden waste and food waste which is collected every week I have heard that Trafford council are going to charge 40 a year for garden waste more fly tipping ? We have a blue bin for cardboard and paper and a black bin for glass tin cans and plastic bottles .which I give the guys who collect it top marks they do a fantastic job  :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bin
The way I see this, something is being missed,whether here in N America or there in UK.or Greeny may have miss typed his thoughts,been there done that!
Green.= tree huggars,vegans, cyclists,composters ad infiteum! Why on earth would the Green bin be for landfill.
I would have to do a bit of delving into other jurisdictions re Greenbin ,but the garden is calling! Next few days are set for 30+ so that's priority 1.
Which Sir Humphrey would come up with Brown for composting.I know we're all different, but word assoiation should suffice, unless Brown or Green isn't PC.
just a thought  ::) ::)  DJ!!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Hi jaywit its just a colour as long has we know what goes in the bins we have been instructed to do and put the right bin out on there on the right day .I can see your point green bin garden waste and food waste for  composing. That's why we use the brown bin    :)