Author Topic: baptisms  (Read 3657 times)

thea

• View Profile
baptisms
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:13 PM »
how would one go about finding a baptism of a child where the mother was not married,born 1901 in ashton town.the address was canning street

Vanessa

Re: baptisms
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Parish Registers of Christ Church would be my first choice, if the mother was C of E, then Ashton Parish Church, both records are in the Tameside archive centre. But if you are hoping that the father is named it would be very unlikely. Did she get married after the birth, if so he is likely the father, my gt gt grand mother married the father of her first child 2 years after he was born, I know he was the father because she gave the child his fathers surname as a middle name, so it goes to show that they would marry up to a few years later. Some didn't marry until they had quite a brood of children. A lot of the time, you just can't prove what the family knew to be true.

Good luck
Vanessa

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:52 AM »
joseph was born 1901 the gro index has high peak .birth cert is ashton town.hannah mother married in 1905 as yet i have not traced any other siblings .it also apears that when hannah married joseph still stayed with his grandmother.joseph never took the name of hannahs new husband.which would seem to indicate that mr knight was not josephs father.i did not think there were quite so many longsdens in and around ashton.

Vanessa

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Joseph Longsden, born 9th August 1901, baptised at St. Michael, Ashton under Lyne, 22nd Sept 1901, mother's name only, Hannah.
Found a Hannah Longsden, born 10 Aug 1881, bapt St Michael 25th Sept 1881, dau. of Joseph and Emma.
Joseph and Emma had 11 children baptised from 1872 onwards. I found these on the Morman Vital records Index, I have them on CD.
Vanessa

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 05:13 PM »
    :-\thanks vanessa for the info i didnt know my grandad was one of eleven lots more relatives to find at some point. ::) thats if i dont go mad before .

Vanessa

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Would you like the details of the 11 children of Joseph and Emma, I can send them as a private message.

Vanessa