Author Topic: 1st May 2017  (Read 1681 times)

LCGI

• View Profile
1st May 2017
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:25 AM »
To all here and passing by....... Happy May Day.

Does anyone still see or do - the Pole Dance?

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: 1st May 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45 AM »
You never see any thing   going on now when we were children we would have a may Queen and all the children dressed up and we would go round to all the houses so many traditions are dying out Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52 PM »
hi our traditions finish when shops open there door to sunday shopping and pubs in your local communities closed , the supermarket and high street stores ,  open now nearly 24 seven bring back the old days , only reason they we still celebrate christmas because its a money making racket for shops , life to fast lets slow it down  :) :D

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29 PM »
So sad to hear this ... but, in the final analysis - sup ta local folk to maintain them traditions - in't it?

- Larry E.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08 PM »
IF YOU ARE SEEN  DOING THIS DAYS  VERSION OF THE POLE DANCE IN THE STREET YOU WILL GET  ARRESTED...

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58 AM »
I used to love May Day when I was at school, and those traditions of the May Queen, etc. were very much in evidence.  Dressing up in whatever we could scrounge from Mom and parading throughout the neighbourhood was wonderful.   I couldn't wait to get through all my other classes at school just so we could practice weaving the different coloured streamers around the Maypole.   Different teams would vie against each other as to which of them would make the most lovely and even patterns as we danced and wove the colours around the pole.  Of course, that was 80 years ago or more now, and I'm so glad I was young then - we had so much more real fun and,  to us, exciting things to do and learn.   Now it's all computers and technology with heads buried in iPhones, sending indecipherable text messages, etc., and don't even see where they're going.   I wonder if they even know that beautiful Spring flowers are blooming and the trees are covered in lovely pink an white blossoms.  However, I do, and that makes life worth living in these awful times.   I'm a little late, but Happy May Day everyone!! 

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:27 AM »
RIGHT ON JOYCE NOT MUCH LOLLY  BUT PLENTY OF  JOLLY IN THOSE  DAYS  CHEERS KENNETHO

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:18 AM »
Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be !  :-\ Bring back the good old days  ;)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I remember my Parents saying things arnt like they use to be I now say it and I am sure our children will say it as life is all ways changing and moving on I love some of the changes like Tele. Computers Central Heating indoor Toilets Washing Machines and a few other things that help us along the way Fudge

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I remember my Parents saying things arnt like they use to be I now say it and I am sure our children will say it as life is all ways changing and moving on I love some of the changes like Tele. Computers Central Heating indoor Toilets Washing Machines and a few other things that help us along the way Fudge

Too True Fudge,...... so, is it back to the future - for progress ?

- Larry. E

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:19 PM »
hi we were talking the other day about traditions and customs i think a lot of traditions  and local customs have gone ,and a few years time it will be hard to say what was a custom was and wasn't ,our people that live here and have gone abroad over seas can you you remember what you can remember , for instant shops closed on sunday pub opening times whit walks black knight pagent may queen ,penny for the guy wakes week did you take any customs or traditions with you ? or embraced the customs in the places you now live , i still let the new year in with a piece of coal slice of bread and a silver coin  ,also remember  summer nights sat on the door step talking to neighbours  :)  :D

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Piece of coal(from Welshpool and Llanfair Railway Yard 52.66N  3.159 W)no bread etc..Pancakes for dinner Shrove Tuesday.Spudhash,with a crust,small squirt of HP sauce Ash Wednesday.

I keep getting the error intermittently!! clear cache still there then  go out of browser and back in again sometimes ok others not!!!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:16 AM »
hi i see one tradition as been taken to australia and still done today , thats clog dancing took there by a descendant from ashton-under -lyne who was related to craig revel horwood , it was on who do you think you are at 9.00pm thursday on bbc  :D