Author Topic: New building coming along nicely  (Read 19550 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: New building coming along nicely
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I bet it is more than a Quarter as there as been quite a few pulled down as well Fudge

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 06:50 PM »
I think you must have gained the wrong impression, Larry. So many pubs have closed in our local town centres since the sixties and seventies that we have probably lost at least a quarter of the watering holes that you might remember. If you name a few pubs, I'll see if they are still active.
Here are a couple I used to frequent (late 60's)
Angel, Swan, Whitehart, Spread Eagle and the one opposite Ashton Baths ??......
We'd often do the pub crawl (friday night) Starting at the Warrington (Cockbrook) down to the Wine Lodge (Stamford St.) - there were about 15 pubs - so we could only have a gill in each pub.  LOL

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 11:38 PM »
Here's my reply to your pub enquiry, Larry.

1. Angel Inn (1, Old Street - adjacent to St Michael's Square)   To the best of my recollection, the pub is still open. I think they changed the name, a year or two back, to something like "Chaplins" in an attempt make it a "theme" pub. The original blue tiling has been left on the outside walls and signage now describes it as the "Angel Hotel", complete with the advertising for "Shaw's Ales."

2. Apparently, we have had two Swans. The first one was at 91, Stamford Street (near where Bedford Street entered Lees Square) but the name was transferred to the Travellers Call at 74, Stamford Street (at Cockbrook) in about 1870. I assume this is the one you are asking about. It is still standing and seems to be functioning alright from outside appearances. It has been (and probably still is) a John Smiths Brewery pub.

3. The Spread Eagle (262, Stamford Street) was situated up against the traffic lights at the busy corner of Stamford Street and Cavendish Street. In the late Sixties, that part of Stamford Street became somewhat desolate as properties were cleared out in readiness of road changes which largely "killed off" that part of the town. To their credit, the Spread Eagle held on a little longer, largely because it became something of a watering hole and meeting spot for the motorbiking fraternity. It was a Chesters Brewery pub, with that (non official) proud boast, "Fighting Ales." It was still functioning in the late Eighties but probably was demolished soon after that.

4. The pub opposite the old baths was probably the Friendship (188, Old Street and adjacent to Henry Square). It became a Robinsons Brewery pub, but before that it had been the home of Schofields Brewery and I believe that the wording to that effect can still be seen in the brickwork round the back. It was a grand old building and was always well worth a visit. The interior was like stepping back in time with all the old interior wall tiling and brasswork. The landlady complained to me on one occasion that the brewery wanted her to be "revamped" into a much more modern pub. To my knowledge, she hung out against it. Sadly, in the end, it ceased to function as a pub and for many years stood idle and boarded up as that part of Ashton continued its decline. Following a spirited attempt to "reinvent" that part of the town, the building seems to have been refurbished and there appear to be plans to convert it to commercial use.

5. The Warrington Arms (Cockbrook) still seems to be going strong. I've never once set foot in this pub but I must have driven past the front door several hundred times!

6. Yates Wine Lodge (Stamford Street and in Old Square) seemed to do good trade until not many years back. It became some sort of theme pub or bar which aimed at the younger and noisier clientele and certainly nothing like the older, more traditional working men of years gone by. I only went in a couple of times but the beer was good as was the Australian white wine ("plonk") that you were obliged to drink alongside your pint. In recent years it appeared to be semi gutted following a fire. The last I was aware of, it was occupied by a flourishing pet shop concern.

Hope this has been useful.

PS Mine's a pint!

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Thanks - Too shy... what valuable bits of info. and good reminders of the bygone days.

Yes, it was the Friendship (Henry Square) the Licensee's name was 'Badger' as I used to go to school with the son 'Brian Badger' at Stamford Boys (Mossley Rd)

Have a great week.....

- Larry