Author Topic: New building coming along nicely  (Read 19781 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
New building coming along nicely
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:44 PM »

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: New building coming along nicely
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:44 AM »
Amazing how the pre-industrial age managed to build beautiful buildings that will outlast most of what us clever clogs can do, have always been  gobsmacked at what hard graft and clever application can achieve.
Medieval masons had simple hand tools, maths and trigonometry. No computers, power tools, risk assessments or method statements.
Look what they did and then look at the unholy, over budget, cock ups we build now. Progress eh!.

As a grumpy old fart was heard to remark "built so you don't have to do it twice in one lifetime".
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:38 PM »
It's all about the MunEEE.
The local esablishment couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
How many local Build, Demolish cycles have happened since my awakening (not religiously ,thank god) (no pun intended)in 1977.
Methinks it is a good job The local establishment are in Ashton, and not in places of any historical importance, York springs to mind.The Minster being demolished to build a Fire and Police station.
The old mills,now gone,(Cedar etc,)were built with pride,private money and could have lasted hundreds of years and put to good use with a little thought and imagination,
that appears sadly lacking with the present Carno's (as in Fred) Troupe.

Flanders & Swan. It all makes work for the working man to do.

just a thought

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:26 PM »
The old buildings were built by skilled workers who earned next to nothing, with no health and safety and didn't live long enough to take pride in what they had done for rich people.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Hi
             I /ll  bet the houses besides the Ashton football ground  on Lees road are still standing I started work for Wilf Plant as an apprentice brick layer in 1946 and I still remember the bloody snow and how cold it was .Brick layers don't work with anything only trowels hammers chisels  lines a spirit level. and a sense of humor     herby

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Hi herby I started work same time and it was a bad winter,later when we were married we wanted one on Lees road but couldnt get a loan on one from the CO OP  they had run out of money .not much better now a days.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52 PM »
I seem to remember groovin g (GG) lived in one of those.
some were very big to usual houses.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Hi jaywit GG lived in the houses down the steps coming back to Hurst Cross they were built before the war and were council houses,
like ours on Leech ave behind the Cake a pie mill

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Hi All, I lived at 244 kings road, directly opposite the football club, in the '50's.

I also had friends who lived on Surry street next to the ground. David and John Waugh, Norman Andrews,to name one or two. I believe Billy Butterworth also lived on Surrey street, as did Mr and Mrs Barker. are those house on Surrey Street still there? Or are they all gone?

Just a thought.........

Daftjack.  8) 8) 8)

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Just on GE. The houses on Surrey st at the end (Rowley St?)are still there. as of 2016 or so GE says.
244 is also there.These houses will last for years.Accrington brick 1/4 "mortar joints probably built late 1800's .We were on Nook Lane built 1897!

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19 PM »
The houses at the end of Surrey Street are actually Craven Street.

All my Butterworth ancestors lived there.

regards

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:34 PM »
There is always 2 ends to a piece of string, Craven  is the other end????

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Yes, Surrey Street at the Rowley St side and Craven Street behind the Royal Oak.
The Brewery owned the houses.

regards

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Floors going in now
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=749nSUpMAgI#
Many thanks Vanessa for your YouTube contributions .... they really help this old sod appreciate how the place has changed - since I left in early 1973.  Its amazing how the Pubs (Prince of Orange0 always seem to survive - eh?

- Larry

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I think you must have gained the wrong impression, Larry. So many pubs have closed in our local town centres since the sixties and seventies that we have probably lost at least a quarter of the watering holes that you might remember. If you name a few pubs, I'll see if they are still active.