Author Topic: Ashton Armoury, Old Street.  (Read 17789 times)

Butty

• View Profile
Ashton Armoury, Old Street.
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Hello,

I am currently doing some research on the Armoury, Old Street, Ashton under Lyne and need a little help if possible.

Can anyone give me a YEAR when the Garages were added to the Cavendish side of the Drill Hall please.

Probably Looking inter war period or WW2 or just post WW2, sorry I cant be more specific.

regards

ayess

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Armoury, Old Street.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51 AM »
Up until the 1950's there was a motor showroom on the northeastern corner of Old Street and Cavendish Street. The Armoury abutted the showroom, behind the showroom in Cavendish Street was waste ground from Slum clearances done before the war, during the war there were air-raid shelters on some of the ground. Trust that this of some help. Ayess

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:22 AM »
ayess - I have a vague memory of a motor showroom around there - was it called 'Lex Motors' or something like that?

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Have you contacted anyone from the Armoury they are very helpful they give the History Forum a tour and explained a lot to us during it Fudge

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:32 PM »
As a follow up on my enquiry I can now confirm that the date was 1951.

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Son of Nomad - I am not sure of the name of the motor showrooms, what I do remember is coming home for lunch (or "mi dinner" in those days) from the Modern School, we had to use the Cotton Street gate for ingress and egress, there was a huge gale blowing as I walked down Cavendish Street as I passed the workshop of the showroom this guy took a flying tackle around my waist dropping me to the ground. As i got up he said, "Look!" There on the ground was a smashed slate from the roof of the derelict mill on the other side of the road. As the chap said it could have taken mt head off. That would have been 1942/43. Stay well   Ayess.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29 AM »
Lex Motors did adjoin the Armoury but much later, I think.  Didn't it used to be Cockshoots, a Rolls Royce dealer?
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Pre war Kenyons of Dukinfield owned it but I think it was called Stamford garage ??

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Lex Motors did adjoin the Armoury but much later, I think.  Didn't it used to be Cockshoots, a Rolls Royce dealer?

You are probably right Denise - I do recall the name Cockshoots now you come to mention it though I'm surprised there might have been a Rolls-Royce dealer in Ashton.