Author Topic: Frank Wood - National Engines  (Read 6686 times)

marystood

• View Profile
Frank Wood - National Engines
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Does anyone have information from the 1940's - 1960's regarding the managers of the National Gas Engine Company.  I am lead to understand that Frank Wood who resided at Brampton, Taunton Road, was the works manager - confirmation required.  Was his wife - Lilian Wood the canteen manager? 

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: Frank Wood - National Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41 PM »
In the 1939 register on FindMyPast listed at Brampton is

Frank Wood, born 29 March 1897, occupation, manager, Muntions(that's what it says) Engines
Marion Wood, born 18 January 1896, occupation, unpaid domestic duties.
There are two closed records at the address as they may still be alive.

marystood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Hi Vanessa,  Thanks for the info re Frank Wood.  His first wife died 1947, and he and his second wife died 1970's/80's so not quite sure why they are unobtainable on the 1939 register.  They moved from Brampton to Hazel Grove area about the time of big changes at the National.  I have noticed a number of references to people working on munitions/gas engine works and assume the National were engaged on essential war work.  Apparently a Miss K. M. Taylor was the canteen manageress in the 1950's and not Frank Woods second wife as I thought.

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34 PM »
The two records that are closed are of people who may still be alive, did they have children who could be these people?

marystood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Hi Vanessa,  I don't think there were any children from either of his marriages.  I may contact the Anson Engine Museum who seem to have a limited amount of information regarding National Engines.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:45 PM »
There are some photos taken inside 'Ashton Nash' on the Tameside Image Archive but I can't see the names mentioned here.