Author Topic: Co-op cafe and The Lounge  (Read 32248 times)

marystood

• View Profile
Co-op cafe and The Lounge
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Can anyone recall a Co-op cafe on Stamford Street near to Yates Wine Lodge?  A relative claims to have had a wedding reception there in about 1950.  Also can anyone recall who owned or ran The Lounge Cafe cum high class cake shop on Stamford Street in the 1950's - 60's.  The cakes were superb.  Any information gratefully received.

ayess

• View Profile
Re: Co-op cafe and The Lounge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:43 AM »
Yes there was a Co-op Cafe near Yates Wine Lodge. It was in with the Co-operative Store that stood almost opposite the Market Arcade, adjacent to the SMC (Shirt Manufacturing Company) shop. Stay well, Ayess

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25 AM »
There was the Lounge Cafe situated in Clarence Arcade off Stamford Street but I can't recall a cake shop.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19 PM »
The Co op one was up stairs I us to get to it through the shop and in the back there were to big doors that lead right up to it. The Lounge as I remember was on the opposite side some were near were Barclay's Bank is now . Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01 PM »
hi the only co op cafe i remember was in the arcadia on stamford street the cafe with a cake shop was further up near to where barclays bank is now. i think you had to go upstairs to the cafe ,there was a coffee bar on the opposite side which was called the serento  :)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Sorry I can't help with the Co-op cafe and The Lounge, but thanks for making me remember the Kardoma (spelling?) Coffee Shop which was on George St. I think.  It was a rather nice little place in the early 40's to have a rest and a drink after shopping on Stamford St.   I didn't have much in the way of spending money in those days!   ;)

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I remember the "Lounge"had an upstairs cafe with the waitresses in black with white lacy aprons and hats.
The guy behind the counter seemed to be the owner,60. ish distinguished,and a bit effeminate to my young eyes.
Saturday morning shopping,Vanilla custard slices,neopolitans??2 crumbly heart shaped slice with cream in between,cream horns.
Borsey for pork pies,sausage rolls,Bread from across the road,now a saddler,Meat from in the market,Briggs,Veg from Kelleys on the market.R.S.Oldham for groceries.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:11 PM »
The cafe in the Clarence Arcade was called Bayleys in 1946
 and the man at the The Lounge is name was some like Alanspeke ?

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34 PM »
hi Jaywit the name was his surname Alanspeke {not English}the other subject there were a few around

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 01:49 AM »
Hi
      The lounge Cake shop was opposite the old arcades next door to them church I lived in Church st behind the old  arcades
we used the to go under there when there was an air raid for awhile, then we stayed in bed.  herby