Author Topic: Belle Vue Zoo  (Read 25633 times)

kate

• View Profile
Belle Vue Zoo
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Hi every one, I'm a new member. I was born in Sheffield but my mother was born in Ashton and my dads family moved to Stalybridge in 1906. they moved to Sheffield in the thirties. We used to go to visit the relatives in Ashton when I was little and always.
 went to the zoo. To be honest I remember the zoo a lot better than the relatives, but I was only about eight or nine when the visits stopped and adult talk is pretty boring when you are young. I always got upset when we went in the elephant house they looked so sad. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where I can find old photo's of Belle Vue zoo

Kate

ourjud1

• wherever I live ashton will always be home
    • View Profile
Re: Belle Vue Zoo
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:08 PM »
Hi Kate welcome to the forum if you google Belle Vue Zoo you will find plenty of info on the history of the zoo
                                                               ourjud1
up the boro

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Hi Welcome to the site I use to love Belle Vue The Zoo the Fair I also use to love the fire work displays in seemed brilliant when you was a child Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I have a photo of me and my cousin with our Aunt and Uncle taken at the zoo in the 1950s but unfortunately it doesn't show any animals. Here is a useful link
http://manchesterhistory.net/bellevue/menu.html

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:13 PM »
My zoo trips were a thing to really remember.
Trolly bus to Crown Point,Then onto the Hyde Manchester Tram.
The usual animal houses and the Aquarium.

In later life ,the speedway on Saturday night,after into the gardens for some shows.Only two spring to mind,The Wall of Death and an African Show.Sword swallowing and sword step ladder(the swords being the treads)After the climb we were shown the soles of his feet.
His comment "This  is one foot this is his brother".

Company Christmas parties and Dances.
Usually to much beer,and I'm ashamed to say, drive home.
I must have been really stupid in my younger days.
Nowadays I refer to myself as being not smart, but also not stupid.

kate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help, I hope I'm doing this right this is the first forum I have joined. Generations of my family lived in Ashton so I'm on a quest to find out what their lives were like. They were all mill workers but I know very little about them, my grandparents had all died before I was born and my parents didn't say a lot about their families.
Kate

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Oh. Yes. The. Speedway. Sat. Night we used. To have. A speedway. Club in Ashton put on dances. At the la. Premier. And  get some of the. Riders Fromm belle. Vue. To. Attend  lots. Of. Fun  hose. Days. Cheers. Kennetho

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Kate Ashton was a busy town with lots of different trades the Mills dominated the land scape but out side the boundary's  plenty of green spaces most of the houses were terrace two up and two down and if you was lucky your own toilet but some area's shared toilets. The Donkey Stone was made Ihe area Robertson's Jam cigarette's and a busy thriving Indoor and outdoor Market. If you ever visit the Archives have a great selection of books to by or look at about Ashton hope this as wet your appetite Fudge

kate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Thank you Fudge, I remember my Uncles house had a toilet in the bathroom, I remember it vividly because when we visited one year I was busting for a wee and my aunty said I would have to use a bucket in the kitchen because someone was in the bath. I was about six and these people were virtual strangers to me and I downright refused. I got to use the toilet, they didn't fancy a puddle on the kitchen floor. I might have been little but I was a stubborn little madam.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:52 AM »
Hi
        I remember going to Belle Vue  with my brother on roller skates on  the third September 1939 and the woman on the entrance wouldn't let us in, it must of been about 11 o clock because she said get back to your mother they've just declared war. I yelled I want to see the bloody monkeys She said you'll be seeing bloody stars if you don't stop swearing. That's the only thing I remember about the war starting.       herby

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 04:35 AM »
Hi
      Can anybody remember the tippler toilets they used the water from the kitchen sink strait into the drain pipe They b
were a good idea but in winter when you were on the toilet and some was using the sink you got hit with blast of cold air and that made you rise very quickly. Still the good old days.       

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 05:17 AM »
OH YES I REMEMBER THE TIPLER TOILET WE HAD ONE ALSO THE BATHTUB HUNG ON THE WALLOUTSDE FIRE UP THE BOILER  NEAR THE KITCHEN SINK PUT THE BATH NEAR THE SINK AND LADLE THE HOT WATER IN THE TUB IT WAS PRETTY DRAFTY IN WINTER HOW CAN WE FORGET THE TIPLER AND THE BATH ROOM AND THE LUXURIES WE HAD  CHEERS KENNETHO

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I also remember the Tippler Toilet the boiler in the kitchen and the tin bath I would not change my indoor toilet and Shower to go back to them days Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Hi that's what they call the good old days .belle vue zoo was ahead of its time had some great days and nights there happy memories elephant and camel rides bank holidays were packed always something going on .nlce to see you back herby

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26 PM »
and the fireworks  display cheers kennetho