Author Topic: Ashton Ginger Beers & Other Stoneware  (Read 19159 times)

Butty

• View Profile
Ashton Ginger Beers & Other Stoneware
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Hello,

Born and bred in Ashton and with a passion for Local History and the Local Military history also, I have always collected things from the Victorian period and early 20th Century that relate to Ashton and in particular things with Ashton advertising on them.

In the 1960'd me and my Dad used to dig old tips in Ashton and we amassed a huge pile of bottles, ginger beers, clay pipes, pot lids and more, many of which, as you would expect, were produced in Ashton.

Some 50 years later, ie, last week I had a good look through the pile, (still in my Mums shed) and pulled out a few of the stoneware items that i found interesting.  They include containers for Ginger Beer, Mineral Water, Herb Beer and  Stout.They have little intrinsic value but are appealing to me.  I have decided its time to increase the collection and create a display.

I am hoping now to find some I havent heard of and hopefully at some point to add them to my collection.

PS.  Could someone advise me how to attach a photo as there doesnt seem to be that option on this message?

regards

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Ashton Ginger Beers & Other Stoneware
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Hi Butty, I have only ever tried Photobucket www.photobucket.com which is easy enough for most users, you upload your images and then cut and paste the link to the image on the forum, it's really easy to use, another option is Flickr which MarkBJ uses to host a whole portfolio of photo images, I haven't any experience with Flickr but I guess it works the same. There are probably dozens of image hosting sites but Photobucket works for me, I've uploaded loads of images and still haven't reached 1% of my free allowance.

Here's one I took at work of some big scissor lifts, it's taken from an even bigger scissor lift, and yes I am scared of heights  ;)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:55 AM »
Hello Butty. Message sent to you.
Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Hi Butty - I was born and raised in Ashton and lived there for 37 years. I remember that in the 1950s a Barretts van used to go round selling soft drinks e.g. ginger beer, sarsaparilla, dandelion and burdock etc. Many of these were in stone jars with a handle on the side. You could stop the van in the street and buy one or place a regular order. I presume Barretts wanted them back eventually though some must have escaped.

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Hello,

Yes I remember the pop van, my grandma used to buy me sasparilla and D & B.

I dont remember what they were in, stone flagons or bottles, it was early 60's at that time.

the early 20th century large stone jars were always the property of the supplier and many had threatening messages printed on them to the effect it was illegal to re-use it and anyone caught would be prosecuted!.

regards

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Also available in Noo Zulland 1.50 a can  ;)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Proper drink!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Then in later years the Corona van went round Fudge

greeny

• View Profile

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Got that, but dont pay 20 for it though.

Can be had much cheaper with patience.

reagrds