Author Topic: First Question  (Read 2130 times)

Butty

• View Profile
First Question
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Hello,
My first post, so forgive me if the answers on this site, but I have looked and not found it.

I am Ashton born and bred in 1960 and have an interest in Ashton's history, particularly its military history, about which I have quite a bit of knowledge.

I have often seen old photos across the market ground towards the Town Hall that show a pub right next to it, probably where Wilkos is/was/will be.

Can anyone tell me its name and when it met its demise please?

regards

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: First Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:12 AM »
The Pub was called the Town Hall Inn My Gr Great Granddad was the first Landlord he Was Called Benjamin Greenwood Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Fudge is quite right - the public house in question was the imaginatively-named, Town Hall Inn, which opened in 1843 with Benjamin Greenwood as its first landlord. It was situated at Market Place, 112 Katherine Street (which ran directly past the Town Hall's front door in those days) and finally closed down in 1938, fifteeen landlords later, when the licence was transferred to the newly-opened Broadoak Hotel.

PS All the information you might need about Ashton's old pubs can be found in "A Directory of Ashton Pubs and their Licensees" by Rob Magee and published in 1989 by Neil Richardson. You'll find a similar publication from the same publisher for most of our local towns, with the exception of Dukinfield.

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Thankyou both.

regards

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:00 AM »
My great grandmother was a barmaid at rhe Town Hall Inn in 1891 census.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar