Author Topic: Donkey Stones  (Read 16551 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Donkey Stones
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Tomorrow night a programme starts at 9pm on Channel BBC 4 next Thursday should have something in on Donkey Stones and the lady will be from our History Forum who talkies about them The programme is called The Cottage Dan Cruickshank At Home with the British Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Donkey Stones
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I watched Christine talking to Dan Cruickshank on thurs about Donkey Stones after he cleaned a step with one Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 10:32 PM »
But did he have to jump over the freshly cleaned step like I used to do. Woe betide you, if you stepped on my mother's freshly stoned step!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Yes you would be in trouble you was frightened even to go to the toilet as that had all been done out as well Fudge

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:55 AM »
I remember being excited as a little boy when the donkey stone man with his cart came to my grandmas to sell her donkey stone as I always got a little gift from him.  No idea what they were now but it certainly stirs fond memories.

IIRC there is/was a great display of the history of Donkey Stone in Portland Basin Museum.

regards

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Te Rag and Bone man use to come round and would give you Donkey Stones for your old clothes if you were lucky you would get a Gold Fish if your mum did not need the Stones Fudge

Butty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19 PM »
I was lucky in that regard, the rag and bone men all worked for my uncle at Pearsons on Hillgate opposite the 7 stars.
Thats where they all took the rags for sorting and onward transmission to the Yorkshire shoddy mills.

I used to get any military bits that went there and rode on the wagons to Yorkshire.

regards

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Speaking of Donkey Stones, I was telling some friends here in Oz about the use of Donkey Stones and stoning the flags and window sill. I told them of my great aunt who, in the winter, used to shovel the snow off the pavement and get down and stone the flags and then sprinkle salt all over it to stop it freezing. What was the outcome? Folks coming home from the mill used to use this nice cleaned area to knock the "cloggy boggies" off their clogs. My hearers couldn't believe me, they thought I was pulling their legs. Stay well,  Ayess

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:45 AM »
I folks Stella from Au's. Reading about the donkey stones reminded me of when I was first married we painted our front doorsteps red and I used to polish it with the red cardinal polish. Boy did the old ladies get disgusted needless to say others did slowly follow. Perhaps that's why the donkey stones slowly disappeared? Hope you are keeping well? It is freezing here and very,very wet.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 10:30 AM »
A change here weather lovely Fudge

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 06:00 AM »
I lived in Hope Street, Hurst & Friday you had to walk off the pavement for that was the day that was pay day & that was Dad's day. All was clean on Payday & woe betide you if you forgot & walked over the nice clean footpath,  Happy Day`s..  Jayess