Author Topic: DANCING IN OLDHAM  (Read 7056 times)

greeny

• View Profile
DANCING IN OLDHAM
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:13 PM »
HI it was mentioned on radio manchester that a dance studio in oldham is closing after 86 years the name of the dance hall is billingtons . i have never heard of it  or the location,  does any one know where or as any one been there in the past        thank you greeny

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: DANCING IN OLDHAM
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Here is a link to the closure of Billingtons which was on Ashcroft Street, parallel to Union Street (north side). Mrs SoN tells me she went there briefly when she was about 5 years old.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/96848/end-of-an-era-as-dance-academy-closes

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33 PM »
hi thanks for that son of normand,  i bet the place could tell a few stories  :)

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:27 AM »
Hi  Greeny. Used to go to Billingtons with my girl friend Sonia.We have been married 62 yrs next December first went there 1952.Lots of memories

Bardsleycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I forgot to say we went to Billingtons on Saturday nights for dancing not for lessons.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 03:15 PM »
hi thanks for that bardsleycrow , so at week ends billintons  it was like a night club and not for lessons , was there a bar on ?  :)

Bardsleycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 04:42 AM »
Greeny.They didn't have a bar.Girls where not allowed passes to go out only males,and where not allowed back in if smelling beer.We used to to a milk bar at bottom of George St you could get drought  Vimto.Those where the days