Author Topic: Ladysmith Shopping Centre Through The Ages  (Read 21023 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Ladysmith Shopping Centre Through The Ages
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Some of you may be interested to read this blog post by Stuart Vallantine about the development of the 'Precint' over the years:

https://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/ladysmith-shopping-centre-through-the-ages/

Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Ladysmith Shopping Centre Through The Ages
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Its Funny how when you look a some photo's how things flash through your mind I remember the site before there was built on the entrance on Old St was a pub and you could cut throug the yard on to Old Street. At the back of Boots were about 3 or 4 houses and a Chimney Sweep lived there my mum use to call and book him to come and sweep ours each year. Some of them memories stick more than the new ones Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I worked in Oldham until 1982 and the shopping precinct there was windy and inhospitable and best avoided. I lived in Ashton until 1978 but don't remember the precinct then being called 'Ladysmith'. I do remember the Norweb showrooom, Boots and Rumbelows and there was a small kiosk in the open area but can't remember what they were selling (probably lottery tickets or suchlike).

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Oh yes - St Peter's Precinct in Oldham (aka Windy City). As I recall, the only unit that had ever been open in the precinct was Tesco.
Martin

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:30 PM »
John, the name " ladysmith" was a later reincarnation of what we knew as " the precinct". I can remember a debate when I was still at school (1963- ish) when the plans for a shopping precinct were first aired. I remember arguing against it as I felt the focus would move from Stamford st to its detriment. Seems I was right!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Yes Meg - it's such a pity it was felt necessary to virtually kill Stamford Street and then decapitate it! Regarding Oldham precinct I remember the Tesco store (on the corner I think). There was also the Gas and Electricity showrooms where I went to pay my bills but even at that time there were units that had never been occupied.