Author Topic: Robert Lees born 1762 and family Hurst  (Read 10606 times)

Judith Douthie

• View Profile
Robert Lees born 1762 and family Hurst
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:40 AM »
Hello Everyone, I am looking for the family of my 5 x great grandfathers family Robert Lees. Robert married Sarah Barber from Padfield at St Michaels, Ashton under lyne in 1793. Robert and Sarah moved to Padfield were they were cotton manufacturers, I have never been able to find anything on Robert's family until earlier this year when I discovered a document at the Lancashire record office. The description of the document read;
partition(i) Robert Lees of Padfield, co Derby, cotton manufacturer and Sarah his wife (ii) Jonathan Lees of Carrs, Ashton under Line, Cotton spinner and Sarah his wife (iii) Abraham Charlesworth or Hurst in Ashton weaver and Hannah his wife (iv) Robert Heap of Stealey co Chester, clothier and Mally his wife (v) Samuel Lees of Ashton, carter (vi) James Harrop of Ashton, corn dealer - specified land in Hurst.

I know now this is my Robert Lees, his brothers Jonathan and Samuel, his two sisters Mally and Hannah and their husbands. Jonathan Lees married Sarah Line in 1790 I have made contact with their descendants and also those of Robert and Mally Heap. No one seems to know who there parents were. The best I can find is Robert's birth in 1762 to John and Mally Lees Hurst but that is not a certainty. There is also a Mally b 1765 and Jonathan b 1768 to the same parents but there were lots of Lees, many with the same name.

I have contacted the Lancashire records office to find out about obtaining the record but the cost was way outside my means, I then asked if it would be cheaper to have the document transcribed but it is 6 A1 parchment pages long so they think having it transcribed would also be expensive. The document may not had have any further information regarding members of the family so I am reluctant go any further. Does anyone have any information on any members of this family? There are a number of Lees named in the 1776 trades directory, one is a John Lees, carter, Hurst. I wonder if this is the father of my family.
Thank you for reading my post.
Judith

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Robert Lees born 1762 and family Hurst
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Hi It is very hard the further back you go and expensive sorry I can't help you only at the time you you are are looking at hurst right up to Kings Rd  to mossely Rd was very rural Fudge

Judith Douthie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48 PM »
Anything is a help.

Thank you.
Judith

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:25 PM »
"Robert Heap of Stealey" is likely to have meant "Robert Heap of Staley". which came under Cheshire.
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Well spotted, Martin.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:16 PM »
re  Kings  ROAD at that date it would be Kings street from the cross down towards Ashton and Higher Kings street towards Moss de Lee Albert

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Don't understand the "Mossley Street" reference.
What is now Kings Road below Hurst Cross was previously Lower King Street and before that Hurst Knoll Lane. Above the cross it was previously Upper King Street and before that Cross Acre Lane.
Martin

lin46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:15 PM »
I wish you luck with this lees family name. I have a Mary Lees born about 1833 Hartshead/Ashton her father Jonathan Lees born 1806 I think . Mary married samuel Hyde . I think the mother is Ann Fielding it's so confusing . Good luck with your search. I am planning going to the Lancashire records office some time this year so if you still need any help let me know.

Judith Douthie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:53 AM »
Thank you Lin47 for your offer.

I now have the will for John Lees died 31 December 1807. He gives his address as Carrs and his occupation as Yeoman. I now think this John Lees was one of the original owners or leases of the land for Park Bridge. Can anyone advise me of a book or family member of this Lees family.

Regards

Judith

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12 AM »
At the center at park bridge there use to be quite a bit info from the past families on display I have not been for quite a few years but if you give them a ring they might be able to help Fudge