Author Topic: Josiah Lancashire Hadfield  (Read 30023 times)

ayess

• View Profile
Re: Josiah Lancashire Hadfield
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05 AM »
Joyce, you revived my memory bank with your reminisces of the deep cutting in wartime years. Our Sunday School teacher had a friend who lived in Mottram and during summer we would often be taken on an outing to Mottram. Going on the North Western double decker bus with its peculiar upper deck with the side aisle on the right side with four seats (I think it was to lower the roof line of the bus so that it could go under some bridge). Anyway, we would walk through the deep cutting, looking for the stone which the frog had lived inside, never found it of course. we would stop at the Methodist Church to eat the sandwiches which we had brought with us and be given a drink then we would walk up over the cutting and this friend of our teacher would tell us all the old legends of the place. We would finish out day's outing walking down the hill to Stalybridge to get the bus back to Ashton. A change from spending Saturday afternoon at the Odeon. Happy days!  Ayess.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 04:34 AM »
Ayess - it's too bad you never found the fossilized frog in the Deep Cutting wall.  I found it!   ;D ;D ;D
As a matter of fact, one of the sites I was mentioning in my searches the other day shows a new green-coloured plaque there now - that's because they felt they couldn't put a blue one up because it wasn't a building.   I believe they began to paint the frog white in later years, but it was just the original frog impression when we found it during the War.   I too loved our Sunday outings up there - there was a kind of access lane from the Deep Cutting area up and over the moors.  There was a farm up there and they'd give you a drink if you were thirsty.
If anyone ever gets the chance to go into the Waggon and Horses pub up there, I can assure you it would be well worth a trip.  I even found their current web-site.   My evacuee foster-parents (who lived at 21 Market St. in Hollingworth) were friends of the owners in 1940/41 and I would be taken with them on Saturday nights to play upstairs in the living quarters with the owner's children.  I absolutely loved it even then.
Aaaah!  Wonderful memories.   :) :) :)
I wonder if you've found any of the web-sites showing pictures of the area, Taddy?  I do hope so.  Good luck with your further searches. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Two for Joyce...

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30 AM »
In the Summer months we use to go for long walks around the Frog area. Even till this day I look out for the frog. My Dad always told me it was a fossil from the Roman times but it does not matter what the real story is I have shown my daughter and my grandsons so it is still being kept alive Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41 PM »
However, on one site it said that the main road (from Stalybridge on down through Mottram,  Hollingworth and through to Tintwistle, etc) is now so extremely congested with heavy traffic and rigs, it's often backed up for miles and comes to a dead halt for hours, making is impossible for the local residents to move around for their own purposes.  Apparently there was supposed to be a new by-pass made and agreed upon a couple of years ago to relieve this tremendous congestion, but so far it hasn't come about.  It must be an absolute nightmare living there now.

My last visit was in 2008 when I drove over from the Fylde Coast to photograph a special train going through Broadbottom Station (it's my hobby, you know!). Fortunately I left in plenty of time otherwise I would have missed it because of the gridlocked traffic at Hollinworth. How the locals cope I do not know.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Bill...Thank you so very much for those two really great photos.  I had seen the plaque on the Deep Cutting web site I found, but the other absolutely wonderful photo you took is really gorgeous.  I can almost smell the grasses and feel the wind blowing all around me.  What a tremendous view.   I'm just wondering exactly where the far houses are situated   It doesn't really matter tho, it made me feel as though I was about l3 yrs. old again for a few minutes instead of being nearly 90.     ;) ;D ;D

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 04:45 PM »
A good question Joyce - about the houses - and one I can't answer.

I took the picture somewhere behind Mottram Parish Church looking in a generally northerly direction.  I don't know the area too well but suspect the houses are within half a mile or so of the church.

Hollingworth is a traffic nightmare with traffic tailing back from the motorway into Tintwistle.  Fortunately, having a travel pass, I let the bus driver take the strain.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 07:17 PM »
If we live long enough we MIGHT see the much talk about bypass that is planned Albert

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 01:26 PM »
I've found the houses Joyce.

The one on the left of the picture with the ground floor arches is at the west end of Mottram Moor before its junction with Hyde Road.

The one in the centre of the picture is a bit further east along Mottram Moor, not far from its junction with Back Moor (which drops down from the cutting).

The hills, from left to right will be from the top side of Stalybridge (Brushes) to Tintwistle and the moors.

This link should show the two houses (bottom left and centre).

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Many thanks for all the reply's, it alway's brings a slight moisture to the eyes,(poetry not intended), when other people take the time to help one another in any way. Again, thank you , Your's Taddy.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Just can't thank you enough for that last tremendous link, Bill.   I've just spent a very long time "travelling" along the area roads of Market St., the Gunn Inn right at the corner where the traffic lights are now to go down Woolley Lane, (although the primary school opposite 21 Market St. is now apparently gone as is the Bank where my foster mother did her banking).  Remembering the Public Baths on the opposite corner of Woolley Lane where every Saturday morning we would go and have our weekly bath!!   :D  The Church on the corner by Water St. where I was so proudly chosen to read the lesson one Harvest Festival Sunday, and on down to where we played on, of all places, what were the filter beds, although being too frightened to jump across to the largest bed in case we fell in... and then to the tennis courts where we learned to play tennis.  Going down a side lane to there was some kind of estate on the right enclosed behind iron railings and we would try to see anyone moving around in the grounds. 
Up Mottram Moor where on the left side going up, my schoolmate was billeted with the Doctor's family in a wonderful very large house with beautiful rose gardens and arbors around the lawns - I was so envious of her billet when she was given a lovely birthday party and we were all invited.   Going into the old Mottram Moor Church and being shown the tiny little mouse carved into the base of the wood enclosure in the Lady's Chapel inside.    As a Hollingworth Primary School group, we grew and tended vegetables in the garden allotments up on the Moor too. 
I could go on and on, Bill, but once again I feel I shouldn't use Taddy's topic, who is trying to find relatives, but it's been a lovely time remembering and re-living what was War Time and all that it entailed for me being an evacuee and after leaving Albemarle Street in Ashton, had previously only lived in Singer Sewing Machine premises in Glossop and then in Lower and Higher Openshaw on Ashton Old Road.  The feel of all those places, Tintwistle. Hollingworth and Mottram is as real to me now as it ever was.     ;D ;D ;D
All thanks to you too, Taddy, for your original enquiry.   ;D

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Please carry on with the reminiscences Joyce, no problem about using the original topic, Regards, Taddy