Author Topic: Josiah Lancashire Hadfield  (Read 30485 times)

Taddy

• View Profile
Josiah Lancashire Hadfield
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Hello to one and all, I am not from Ashton as my father moved to Burnley during the 1930's; The above named Josiah Lancashire Hadfield was my paternal grandfather, Married to Nellie Styles they lived on Pelham street for most of their lives.

My fathers sister Beatrice did not have to change her name when she married in 1910 because she married a man with the same surname, a Mr John Hadfield. they emigrated to Pawtucket in New England, U.S.A.  the year they were married.

Beatrice became involved in local politics and I believe she was known as "The Grand Lady of New England" in later life; all my attempts to trace her or other members of the Hadfield family,  have come to naught.

A name like Josiah Lancashire I thought would be easy to trace, (wrong).  Any clues would be much appreciated, thank you Yours Taddy

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: Josiah Lancashire Hadfield
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Just doing a quick trace, there is a Josiah Lancashire Hadfield who married a Nellie Walker in Haslingden in 1910. Josiah was born in 1889 in Ashton. The 1891 census indicated that Josiah’s family then consisted of:-

William Hadfield (head) born about 1859 in Hyde
Clara Hadfield (wife) born about 1860 in Yorkshire
Beatrice R Hadfield (daughter) born about 1884 in Lancashire
Annie E Hadfield (daughter) born about 1885 in Lancashire
Ada Hadfield (daughter) born about 1888 Denton
Josiah L Hadfield (son) born 1889 Ashton

William Hadfield had married Clara Bramwell in 1881 (Ashton).

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Josiah died in Ashton in 1965 aged 76: he and Nellie may have had at least 2 children
Clara born 1912 Ashton and George Bramwell Hadfield born 1915 Ashton.

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Many, Many, Many, thanks for that, the names that you have mentioned are all names that have been brought up over  the years by my family, Beatrice whom I have always thought was my aunt, it seems was my fathers aunt, IE, my great aunt and Josiah's sister (not), my fathers sister.

Again, Many, thanks, Your's, an ever grateful and happy Taddy,  :) :) :)

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Josiah died in Ashton in 1965 aged 76: he and Nellie may have had at least 2 children
Clara born 1912 Ashton and George Bramwell Hadfield born 1915 Ashton.

Found five of my ancesters thanks to this forum.
 William, (my father) born 1910 in stonefold village, Haslingdon.
 Clara, born 1912, in Ashton.
 George, born 1915 in Ashton.
 Jessie, born   1921 in Ashton.
 Frank, born    1927 in Ashton.

My father married a girl named Jenny Wren in the early 1930's who unfortunatly died through complications after giving birth to a son named Derek who was born in 1934 in Ashton

When my father moved to Burnley shortly afterwards, Derek was left in the care of his parents, My father remarried in 1938 and had four children with his second wife, (my mother), when he went back for Derek my father found that his own parents had adopted the child without his consent. Although he never talked about, (at least not in my hearing),  I think it troubled him for the rest of his life.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Fascinating, Taddy.  :)
Martin

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44 PM »
I have just located a forum in Pawtucket in the U.S.A. The sister of my grandfather, the above named Josiah Lancashire Hadfield,
moved to Pawtucket in the year of her marriage to a John Hadfield,in 1910, (she did not have to change her name).

hopefully, someone on their forum will come up with a little more history about my relatives from Ashton who resettled in America.

Many thanks to members of this forum for putting me on the right track, Yours Taddy.

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 01:47 PM »
It has been a while since I last posted, many thanks to son of nomad for the 1891 census returns, I have managed to locate further ancestors to a William Hadfield born 1858 in Newton Moor, father of the above Josiah Hadfield and his wife Clara, (nee Bramwell) born 1859 in Sheffield.
  I believe Williams father was called Charles but can find no further clues. Any and all help would be appreciated.
  Thank you, Taddy.
P.S. Does anyone know where Newton Moor was/is.  Is it or was it anything to do with Newton Heath?

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:27 AM »
It has been a while since I last posted, many thanks to son of nomad for the 1891 census returns, I have managed to locate further ancestors to a William Hadfield born 1858 in Newton Moor, father of the above Josiah Hadfield and his wife Clara, (nee Bramwell) born 1859 in Sheffield.
  I believe Williams father was called Charles but can find no further clues. Any and all help would be appreciated.
  Thank you, Taddy.
P.S. Does anyone know where Newton Moor was/is.  Is it or was it anything to do with Newton Heath?

Newton Moor is in Hyde, Cheshire. Until a few years ago there was Newton Moor Working Mens Club at Markham Street in Newton and there still stands Newton Moor Conservative Club, on Ashton Road, not far from the Cheshire Cheese public house.

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Many thanks for that, Too shy, I will try to dig deeper. Your's Taddy

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Thank you  too shy, I have delved/dug/ whatever , and found that the location my ancestors came from was Mottram in Long densdale, which I believe is now in Hyde, at one time I suppose that it must have been a very rural location until the industrial revolution, again, many thanks, I shall keep on digging/delving, whatever. Your's, Taddy.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 01:11 AM »
Hi Taddy .. it may not be of much use for you to know, but does confirm that your thoughts are right about Mottram and area were once a very "country" place.   During World War II, I was evacuated from Manchester to Tintwistle and Hollingworth from 1939 to 1941 (aged 12 to 14).     My younger brother was eventually re-billeted with a dear, quite old lady who lived in Mottram, I think on the main street, which was really just a good walk up the hill from Market St. in Hollingworth were I was.   It was at that time all a very rural and quiet "country" type of place with not many houses together and the one he lived in was a row-type of house with not many rooms.   The whole area at that time was lovely, quiet and peaceful, but I believe that the main road is now an exremely busy thoroughfare and so I'm sure it's all much changed from that time.  We used to have some lovely Sunday walks up through Mottram and on up to the Deep Cutting then up over the Moor, and I loved visiting the lovely old Church in Mottram itself.   I believe it had quite a history.  Those are long ago days though, but thought you might like to know how it was in 1939 and 1941 when I knew it very well.   Joyce in Canada

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Thanks for your reminiscence Joyce - it's always interesting to know what a familiar place was like in bygone days. I have driven through that area many times over the years. It wasn't too bad in the 1960s but today it is an utter nightmare. Best to stay at home or buy yourself a helicopter.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Thanks Son of Nomad.  If you could afford it, I believe a helicopter would be the only solution these days.  As a matter of my own curiosity about the area now, I typed in searches of Mottram and the Church, and Deep Cutting, etc. and  some really good sites came up.  There are many really interesting ones giving the history with many good photos, including the Church and showing how wild the distance looks up on the Moors.  However, on one site it said that the main road (from Stalybridge on down through Mottram,  Hollingworth and through to Tintwistle, etc) is now so extremely congested with heavy traffic and rigs, it's often backed up for miles and comes to a dead halt for hours, making is impossible for the local residents to move around for their own purposes.  Apparently there was supposed to be a new by-pass made and agreed upon a couple of years ago to relieve this tremendous congestion, but so far it hasn't come about.  It must be an absolute nightmare living there now.   :D ;D

Even my own little area of Byron here on the outskirts of London are at times very busy and it can take at least three turns of the traffic lights before you can get through the main intersection.  I'm not sure that "progress" is an entirely good thing for some aspects of life these days!!   :o  When I moved here in 1970 you could fire a cannon down the main street on a Saturday afternoon and not hit a solitary thing or vehicle.   
Sorry if I seem to be hogging your enquiry Taddy, but it's a very interesting area to explore if you would like to know what things were like when your relatives were in the area.   ;D Joyce

Taddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Joyce in Canada and Son of Nomad, many thanks for your recollections, the area/s where my ancestors were born and raised has certainly changed over the year's and not neccessarly,(think thats spelt right), for the better.
  Joyce, please don't think that you are hogging my enquiry, all posts are worth it when trying to go back to the 1700/1600 hundreds, again many thanks. You'rs Taddy.