Author Topic: Family of Joseph Lees and Susannah Gartside  (Read 24490 times)

Nancie Lees Sippel

• View Profile
Family of Joseph Lees and Susannah Gartside
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I recently had a DNA test done and it shows there may be a connection between my William Lees b.1808 and a John Lees b.1801 in Ashton under Lyne.  I have been tracing my family for 17 years now and this is the first lead I'd ever gotten on where My 2x great grandfather came from in England.  My William came to the US in 1838 and settled in Roxborough outside of Philadelphia.  I looked up this John Lees on family search, as I was made aware of who his parents were.  During this time period in Ashton under lyne there were 2 families with the surname of Lees, father Joseph, mother Susan*.  John's family had siblings Jenny 1803, Josiah 1804, Samuel 1806, James 1809 and Ann 1812.  All were christened at St. Michaels.  Now here is the strange part.  In 1808, at St. Michaels a baby was christened William, but his parents are listed as NEEDY Lees and Susan*.  My William would fit in there with the rest of the children age wise so I'm wondering if the name Needy is an error.  I haven't found anything on a person named Needy Lees on-line.  William seems to have had a bit of money when he came to the US.  His occupation was listed as trader on the ship log and as a gentlemen on the 1860 census.  He was 1 of only 4 passengers on the ship Algonquin and what I've read on this the private cabins were plush and the cost high.  He married into a family here, the Pesters, who were wealthier than most at the time.  Another thing which is odd is that this John was a Mormon.  My William was not.
Well there is my story.  Can anyone give me any advise?

herby

• View Profile
Re: Family of Joseph Lees and Susannah Gartside
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53 AM »
Hi Nancie
                    It means they where Skint (without Wealth)     herby

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Unfortunately the Lancashire On-line Parish clerk for St Michaels http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ashton-under-Lyne/stmichael/index.html, Ashton does not list baptisms. Tried to find a marriage for a Joseph Lees and Susan between 1796 and 1812 but without success. Of course they could have married at another church, i.e. St Peter.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58 AM »
St Peters was not built then but lots use to go to Manchester Cathedral to get married Fudge

Nancie Lees Sippel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:38 PM »
I just looked again and it does say St. Michael's church.  There is also another one the same dates but it says "Neddy" instead of Needy.  This Joseph and Susannah were married 2/16/1800 at Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire.  Two postings on LDS site.  The other says Collegiate, Manchester, Lancashire.  So if it was "Needy" because they were poor, do you think it may be my William?

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:18 AM »
Hi
          Neddy I think is short for Edward.  herby