Author Topic: Is anyone else brassed-off by this cryptosporidium parasite business?  (Read 6518 times)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that 300,000 homes in the North West will have been told to boil all tapwater or use bottled water. United Utilities refuse to tell us how the parasite entered the water supply and how long it will take for them to kill it completely. Businesses, particularly catering, are suffering but still no end in sight. You would thing that UU had a contingency plan to speedily and effectively cope with this situation (which has occurred before in other areas) but it seems not. I'm beginning to suspect they are just playing safe to avoid litigation. Some people must have drunk tapwater but I've not seem any reports of masses of UU customers going down with 'Delhi Belly''. What do others think about the situation?

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
Waite and see

Fudge

• View Profile
I think it is a bit far fetched as all the Chemicals they pump in to cleanse the water they should have safe water at all times Fudge

Albert

• View Profile
Its a suprise it taken so long with all the cut backs in staff  Ex staff

heather

• View Profile
Just been on the news, the water is now safe to drink. If you are returning from holiday, let the water run for a few minutes to clear the pipes.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Actually only a small proportion of households affected can now use tap water without boiling; the rest of us are told it could be sometime before the end of next week or even longer in some cases. We are really fed up with the situation - it's getting hard to remember what it was like before!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Luckily, those of us living in the Ashton area are not affected by this. Only the Preston / Fylde / Blackpool area.
Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Yes Martin - as soon as I made the post I realised hardly anyone else on the forum would be affected (or interested). Still, it let me blow off steam which helps a bit! Just checked now (Sunday afternoon - no joy yet). 3 weeks and counting. Gggrrr!

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Is anyone else brassed-off by this cryptosporidium parasite business?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Yes Martin - as soon as I made the post I realised hardly anyone else on the forum would be affected (or interested). Still, it let me blow off steam which helps a bit! Just checked now (Sunday afternoon - no joy yet). 3 weeks and counting. Gggrrr!

As long as it's only steam that you're blowing off, SON, then the average Ashtonian can sleep soundly in his bed tonight (with his false teeth beside him, in a glass of sparkling water from the Pennine moors). Boom, boom!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:25 PM »
It's now 4 weeks since this situation started. We have been told that compensation payments will be made between 50 and 60 with those suffering longest (like us) getting the highest amount. This is for the additional electricity we have used, there is 0 compensation for the inconvenience or bottled water bought. I let slip to Mrs SoN that I had been giving her dog water straight from the tap - she was not best pleased. I pointed out that it was still alive but it made no difference - I'm now sleeping with the dog.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Well if you are sleeping with the dog count yourself lucky as I don't know were you would have ended up if anything had happened to the dog Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 04:30 PM »
I do Fudge - in a cardboard box under Blackpool North pier!

Well Hallelujah - no need to boil any more. Christmas has come early.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Glad you are safe now and nothing happened to your dog Fudge