Author Topic: The former Manchester City Fire Station at London Road  (Read 2102 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
The former Manchester City Fire Station at London Road
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Thankfully, this grand old building is now up for sale again - I think the current owners (Britannia Hotels?) have probably been shamed into attempting something after so many years of neglect. The building ceased to be a working fire station in the early 1970s and just before the creation of the Greater Manchester authority. It was used as a storage facility (presumably by the Fire Service) for some years after that and bought by Britannia in the mid 1980s. Whatever their plan was (probably to convert the building into a hotel) it never happened. Now it has become a total eyesore, with the brickwork shabby and damaged, window frames and doors rotted and, higher up, vegetation growing out of the roof, chimney stacks and gutters. Somebody should be shot for the obvious and blatant neglect of such an iconic building.

heather

• View Profile
Re: The former Manchester City Fire Station at London Road
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Here is a link to the details. The planning consent will expire again in 2016 so lets hope it is sold soon.
http://www.christie.com/en/instructions/776.pdf

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Too shy for your post and you too, Heather, for that great link.  Seeing those
terrific pictures, and looking at the map part, really brought back some wonderful memories of my early years and into my teens when I'd so often go down into the Piccadilly area either to shop, or go on down to the Ritz or Odeon, during and after the War.  Why, oh why, do they let such great buildings go to seed?   Even seeing the other buildings in the Piccadilly area made me think of how it was always such a thriving part of "my" downtown.  I know a lot has changed since then, but at least I can remember how it was then and I certainly hope someone or organization buy it and do something good with it.   London Road is part of my early life.  :) 

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Lovely building why cant people revamp the old buildings instead of demolishing them I hope that one stays as it beats any new building Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Thanks to Heather, Joyce and Fudge for their follow up comments - all very informative. From what I recall reading about the building, there was also living accommodation for firemen who were based there which would take their families also. That would have been a godsend for someone who could "live over the shop." A friend of mine was stationed there early in his Fire Service career in the 1960s - I seem to recall him telling me that he lived in for part of his training period.

Not far from there is another grand old building - the former (?) UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) building which I think is now closed down. The last time I read anything about the building, some months ago, the debate was about whether or not the University would hold onto the building and put it to some use or would it just be sold off - presumably to yet another property developer who would have eyes solely on the inevitable conversion to a hotel/restaurant/bar etc. I think it was built in the early fifties - I had eye problems and was required to attend the Manchester Eye Hospital TWICE a week as a youngster and can recall seeing the building work in progress, week by week. Yet another building whose future could be hanging in the balance.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:39 PM »
News on the internet, today, reveals that the building has now been sold. The new owners are Allied London who have already developed two other sites in Manchester - at Spinningfields and St John's. The speculation appears to be that the new owners will convert the Grade Two Listed building into workspace, apartments and a hotel. The hope is that this redevelopment will lift the general tone of the surrounding area which is currently rather less than inspiring. We wish them well.