Author Topic: Milk and Orange juice  (Read 23490 times)

Albert

• View Profile
Milk and Orange juice
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Funny old world during the war as kids we were given Milk, Orange juice, and Cod liver oil in the paper last
week we were told that raw milk was bad for us unless it was treated but I dont think Mr Millin when he came round with his milk his was treated just the cows were tested for TB
Also last week we were told to much orange juice could give us skin cancer
Are we safe with Cod liver Oil ??

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Milk and Orange juice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Hi Albert I use to love the Orange hot and I could take Cod Liver oil but not now it repeats terrible was never a big milk drinker but would only have Sterilized when I was a child, Now I have the half fat heated for a coffee once a day and my cereal's have a bit on the rest of the day I drink Sparkley Water with a bit of juice in. Fudge

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I used to like codliver oil and malt  still like milk anytime  hot or cold cheers kennetho

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45 AM »
If there was one thing I loved as a kid, it was Cod Liver Oil and Malt.  I could eat it by the tablespoon and ask for more!!   I really don't remember having much orange juice, but I sure drank as much milk as I could, in any way given!!  I loved the little bottles of milk delivered at school.  Old age has finally caught up with me though, and am now lactose intolerant so it's no real dairy products for me - only that which is lactose free.   I used to eat brick cheese in chunks - especially Lancashire and Cheshire, but that's also a no-no now!!   :(   

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 04:03 AM »
I recall having an op in the 1960s in Oakville after the op they put me on codliveroil but I coudnt take it so the give it me in orange juice and it put me off orange juice for bloody monthsi can drink  it now but I gag with the codliveroil thank god I don't need it now..i would take cod liver oil and malt any time but we don't see it around here..cheers kennetho

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 01:30 PM »
hi joyce you can put your feet up today and enjoy your happy birthday have a great day just eat the strawberries , leave the cream ,

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:35 PM »
correction  it was caster oil they give me in hospital not cod liver oil the old mind playing up sorry folks cheers kennetho

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Joyce Hope you have a super birthday Fudge

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I wll second that  cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Well Joyce: we are alike in one respect and different in another. I HATED cod liver oil and malt, it used to make me heave but my parents got it for me because they thought it would build me up to combat my asthma. I do love cheese though and still buy the strongest cheddar. When ah were a lad, strong cheese would make my tongue tingle so I called it 'biting cheese' at home.

If you have an upcoming birthday then may I wish you "A VERY Happy Birthday" from one former Ashtonian to another.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45 AM »
Dear J oyce, a very happy birthday even though a few days late.  Hope you enjoyed your day  perhaps you were  able to enjoy your beloved garden as always mu h  love e   Maureen xx xx

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 05:21 AM »
Hello everyone!!!...... and thank you so much for remembering it was my Birthday on the 11th - and a special thank you to you, Maureen!!  I didn't see your lovely messages until today, when I just got back from a little 4-day holiday - my first in about 5 years!    Not a regular "holiday" as such, but I had a lovely time, surprisingly being one of the many exhibitors at a small country town "Fibre Arts and Crafts Festival".  The theme was "Wedding and other Dresses of the Past", and since I'm now 88 and can't seem to let go of some of my old possessions... dresses I made for myself and little girls, and one or two dresses bought in the 1960's for very special RCAF party occasions with photos and explanations to accompany them, I spent a wonderful birthday while loads of people came through to see them.   Many exhibitors were in various venues of the small counry town where all this took place, a lot of them displaying hand-made quilts, sewing, crocheting, etc., and I had my little holiday staying with a long-time friend who lives there, and her daughter who lives nearby too who was one of the Festival Committee Organizers.   Many beautiful dresses dating back into the 1800's were offered as displays in two of the local churches, etc.  It was lovely and the people coming through were asking questions and commenting so favourably - it was very gratifying and I talked almost non-stop from 9:30a.m. to 4pm!!!  (I can hear some of you male posters remarking - that's not so hard to imagine!)   ;) :D
My friend and her daughter are also avid flower and vegetable gardeners and also rear a few farm animals and poultry.  I even had my picture taken with a little abandoned Baltimore Oriole which has been fed and looked after by my friend's daughter.  It apparently fell out of a nest near the house and had an injured wing still only having downy fuzz and no feathers.  However, it's now almost fully grown and as soon as she arrives outside, flies down to her and it will sit on her finger or likes to walk around her shoulders.  Imagine my surprise when she placed it on my head then took a picture!!  That will be one for posterity I can tell you!  LOL. 
They both have lovely acreages, having renovated their old farm houses over several years, with really pretty flower gardens, trees and raise a very few farm animals and poultry.  It was a very different birthday and holiday for me, and I loved it.   The festival Committee are planning on holding their next exhibit in 2017 and the theme will be "Hats"....and that should be a real treat finding them in all kinds of people's attics and hidden-away old chests.  I hope I can be around to go to that, as I love Hats and even have a couple of really old ones somewhere in real hat boxes!    ;D ;D

To Son of Nomad - I think it was the Lancashire cheese I always called "the crumbly cheese".  My mother's favourite was Gorgonzola!  Ugh!   :D

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Ah yes Gorgonzola - known as 'sweaty socks' cheese in our house!

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:50 AM »
........and makes fantastic sauce to go with gnoche!  Love it SON and Joyce.  Loved the crumbly  cheese on Hovis brown bread. Joyce you sound like you had a brilliant birthday day. Right up your street.  I hope and am sure you will be around for the coming Hat 
Display Watt h My Messages.....Danny xx

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Hi Joyce
              A belated many happy returns of the day that was.  Sorry my computer has been on the blink bought a new modem and had no amount of trouble getting it to work. Seems o k now though.  herby