Author Topic: Wakes week  (Read 43107 times)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: Wakes week
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I was always fascinated by the way the "cranes" in the penny machines would pick up what you hoped you'd get, and then drop the prize just before it got to where it would deliver it to you.   

Yes Joyce - just when you thought you had got some thing for your money, you'd end up with three popcorns. Another slot machine I remember was the haunted house. It was a miniature room and when you put your penny, in a little coffin lid would open and a skeleton would sit up then go down again, a 'ghost' would come out of a cupboard or a spider would fall from the ceiling. I would love to own one of those machines but I guess they're all in private collections now.

I agree with you ayess - if I could go back in time and choose between having the childhood I had or having an X-box, it would be no contest.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 10:50 AM »
I would choose my childhood days rather than todays. I would wander all over with my Spanish water and sugar bread during the summer hols. Play Hop Scotch ,Queenie Old Cocco,Tents made with Wooden Maidens and Blankets and would ride my brush round so much fun making up your own games. When we went up Newcastle to stay at my Nana me and the cousins would sit on the stairs and play deep sea diving don't think children have the same fun as we did but I suppose every generation as there own memory's Fudge

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Re- Blackpool
I was and still am attracted Blackpool Tower Ballroom.I've always loved the Organ.Since leaving England we have been back a few times Always visited Blackpool.My Mam &Dad lived there.
I have discovered I can get the Tower Balllroom on u tube with Reginald Dixon and all the following organist's I enjoy watching and listening.
Regards Kevin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 11:24 AM »
One tradition still going is the donkey rides for children - they even have them on St Annes beach where I frequently cycle past. There was a time when you could see the circus elephants being walked down to the beach at Blackpool before the use of 'wild' animals was stopped. I took my (then) small son to the final show of Blackpool Tower Circus with animals in 1990 and managed to secretly grab a few shots. But it really was uncomfortable to see tigers, panthers and elephants performing 'tricks' and I'm glad it no longer happens there.

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44 AM »
1972 I visited my Mam& Dad in Hathershaw.We went to Blackpool for a week.On the Sunday Mam and myself'went for a Tram ride to the Tower.Mam wanted to go to the all-in wrestling Mam had only seen it on TV.Mam had always told us she knew Jack Pye a wellknown wrestler at the the time.We got seats near the ring.Mam said there is Jack Pye come with me.There he was Mam said hello and said I'm Dummies neice he looked at and replied bloody hell little Esther Wood.Made her day they had a chat for a while.Afterwards Mam see none you believed me.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Hi Bardsley
                  I used to like Watching Jack Pie when he was on, his favourite hold was to hit his opponent with the spit basin. I used to go to the Ardwick Blood tub a right crummy joint it was. I think it was nine pence to get in. Halt way through the bout all the crowd used to chant Dirty Pye Dirty pie.  Jack loved it and he would pile on the dirty tricks

herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 12:38 PM »
hi when ashton wakes was moved from ashton market it was moved to any waste land that was available , i remember a few were they any more , like the goods yard now ikea , also richmond park estate , off katherine street , and i think there was one off stamford street cavendish end , iam sure there were a few more you may be able to help  :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 10:46 PM »
King George's Park had it a couple of times Fudge