Author Topic: Old Newspapers  (Read 3524 times)

plantlady

• View Profile
Old Newspapers
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Hello Ashton-under-lyner's  ;)

I am hoping one of you may be ably to help me, I am researching my family history, (my mum's maiden name ""Harvey""") she had a brother Thomas who lost both his legs at Rhoose cement works Barry,  (they all moved up to Ashton soon after this....about 1924)  Thomas went on to make surgical boots, and had a cobblers near Ashton Market (I know he had this shop in 1949 and longer ) also I have just found out the shop was next door to "Ashton Reporter Offices"    was this the local newspaper offices ? and hopefully one of you will know where this was and know the name of the street ??  :)

Thanks for any help :)

Yvette

Mr Chips

Re: Old Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Hi Yvette,

The Reporter Office was on WARRINGTON Street - It was knocked down and Marks & Spencers now occupies the site.

There are some photo's of "old" Warrington Street on the Tamesides Image Archives:

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/archives.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:36 PM »

Reporter Newspaper Offices, Warrington St. Now the site of Marks and Spencer

plantlady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:27 PM »
I want to thank each of you very much for the info. you have given me, I feel a little closer now to my Uncle Tom...

Thanks

yvette

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Hi Yvette.  Have you any idea whereabouts in Ashton the family moved to? I was brought up in the West End and there was a family named Harvey who lived on our Street and they came from Wales. There was an elderly couple who were always known as Grandma and Grandad Harvey about 4 doors away from us and their married daughter, Florrie, lived next door to us. Also there was another married daughter, Doris, who lived just round the corner. That was when I was only quite young , in the late 40`s and early 50`s.  Could this be the same family?...Nan