Author Topic: What I Miss  (Read 21779 times)

pkkontario

• View Profile
Re: What I Miss
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 01:02 PM »
It is very interesting to read the comments relating to my original post. My intention was to revive the "good" memories of times gone by in the community that nurtured me (for good or bad).
There are many things I am able to call to mind that do not give me fond memories, but isn't that life in a nutshell? We file away the "bad" and concentrate on the "good". Those who are unable to do this end up in therapy, or worse!
There never were any good old days, and I would not want to take a step back in time. I love living in the present. Modern technology, medicine, travel, etc., are not to be taken for granted.
But when I wax nostalgic of the Ashton I knew as a child, I remember it through a child's eyes. My head was uncluttered then with the horrors of the pollution spewed from mill chimneys, the post-war poverty, etc. I was a kid, and like all kids I found fun, adventure, and even a rugged beauty in my home town. I did not know anything different. Blackpool was an exotic destination for my family at that time.
Now I live in a place across the Atlantic where I am truly surrounded by nature's beauty, but that does not mean that I don't feel privileged to return home to Ashton regularly, and once more relive my childhood as I gaze upon its beauty.
It is all about perspective, isn't it?

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 03:10 AM »
Hi
        Isn't it Ashton Wakes a week on Friday. I wish I was there for that. I would be meeting all my friends and neighbours walking down the prom in Blackpool. Had some very good times there a long time ago. Spending half my money on the wakes roundabouts before we left. Happy Memories.    herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Yes starts on Sunday for two weeks but not many keep it up now as no were closes for it and people spread there hols Fudge