Author Topic: Dunkirk (Dunkerque)  (Read 21280 times)

Albert

• View Profile
Dunkirk (Dunkerque)
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:18 PM »
 Any body remember the troops coming back from Dunkirk 75 years ago,they came by train to Charlestown station and marched up to Whittakers Mill off Queens road.Some had uniforms some had a blanket round them
That didnt matter they were back safe.   

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Dunkirk (Dunkerque)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Hi Albert I was not born during the war but a couple of years later. I had a older brother who was conscripted and they use to come in and Parade from Charlestown Station but I think they went to the Armory on Old Street and that was a touching sight bet there was lots of tears when they returned from Dunkirk Fudge

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I was still evacuated and living in Hollingworth at the time, so although I well remember the actual occurrence now, I wasn't aware of it at the time.  Very little of the news was relayed to evacuees then, but once I returned home a year later when I was 14 to start work, then I heard of all these tragic things.
Even now I can imagine what they must have all suffered, and those waiting for their return must have felt.   We owe so much to those brave people. 

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Yes I remember the return from Dunkirk, wasn't Lord Gort (CinCof the soldiers) or one of his relatives billeted on a family in, or near, Darnton Road? Stay well,   Ayess.

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:53 AM »
Albert, Yes ,I remember and I was there at Curzon Rd with the families cheering them and us kids asking for   Souvenir  Cap badges or  French coins..  I still have the Manchester Rgt Cap Badge some Tommy.
 gave me. Yes I've had it these years.!!!

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:17 AM »
I remember the Soldiers that came from Charlestown station in uniforms ripped & torn & covered in mud---they were brought to Whittaker's mill & were put in the empty rooms  to just sleep anywhere.  They came in buses & on the back of  lorries & a few were marched. --  Jayess 

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Hi
         I remember the German Prisoners of war in Whittaker's mill. I was working on Wilf Plants office just outside the gate into the mill. I was 15 year old apprentice  at the time and one of the bricky's had been a prisoner or war and could speak German he used to talk to them they were all friendly blokes just soldiers no Nazi's.   herby

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I find it really interesting to read your memories of what was happening in Ashton at the end of the war. I have never read anything about it before. I was too young for anything to register apart from seeing my father march past our house on Newmarket Road when he was in the Home Guard. That would be 1945/45 when I was about four years. I do remember him saying a bomb fell on the Hillgate area of Ashton and killed some people.  I also recall hearing air-raid sirens into the late 1940s but I never understood why as the war was over.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:47 PM »
The sirens were tested I think as I also remember them going of into  the 50s one on top of the Fire Station on Wellington Rd Fudge

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Hi Herby I remember the Germans at Whittakers and later in the war they went down to Albion schools to remove the air raid shelters that would be hard work
Was it Wilf Plant that built some houses on Lees road we had our name down for one
Son of Nomad long after the war air raids sirens were tested at 10-00 am on Monday morning,and the last time i was at Chatsworth House they still do they may have there own part time fire service     

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Hi
     There was a bomb fell on Hillgate there was also one fell on the railway line just missed the bridge on Birch St. we used to go around the streets the morning after looking for Shrapnel most of it from the ack ack guns. One Sunday morning we were walking down Park Parade. When German fighter whizzed down the railway arches then a few seconds later a spitfire went by chasing the jerry plane. When the sirens went we would go under the shops on Stamford St that was our air raid shelter we did it a few times then my got fed up of getting out of bed so we stayed at home. I used to watch the Jerries bombing Manchester from the front bedroom window you could see the fires and the bombs going off. Later on some of us were playing when a doodle bug flew over the house didn't half make a racket. and the engine cut out we knew we were safe because they used to glide down I believe that one hit a farm house in Hyde and the house was in the middle of a big field. How unlucky can you get.                                                                                                                                                                     herby   

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Hi Albert.
               Yes it was Wilf Plant who built those houses on Lees road  There was an air raid shelter the we used as a cabin next to the pub a soldier was murdered in the shelter I used to be scared to death open the shed up in the morning. It was the first houses Wilf built. We were property repairing before that. I served my apprenticeship and worked for him after I came out of the air force. He was a great bloke to work for.                                           herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48 AM »
My mum and family lived right near the River Tyne and bombing  raids were always taking place because of the ships The use to go under the table or stairs as they said it was just as good. But my mum worked at the Ammunition factory but when they found out she could sew they moved her to were they made parachutes and after the war continued to make De mob suits Fudge

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Hi Fudge We went under the table during the air raids but it was a Morrison air shelter took near all the room up
Whittakers mill was a demob center later so your mothers sewing came in handy for the demob suits I took the money 7

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 04:35 AM »
I just read this one Jayess I stood at the corner of Curzon Rd and watched the  soldiers  marching up from Charlestown, Quite a lot of French soldiers too. I got a few Cap Badges from them.
How are you doing I am now in my  nineties and apart from a bad knee I get around, Wife not in good shape though.  Wish I could meet you in the miner's for a beer.

Cheers Brian   N Vancouver BC