Author Topic: Clocks  (Read 18850 times)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
Re: Clocks
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39 PM »
I think we would be better by leaving the changing of clocks its a pain in the bum when I was at the school I had to change the master clock in the office and what a chore that was if you didn't do it correctlyat the right timeit was programmed for all the clocks in the hallways and the classrooms would go bannanas and would be different times .. at least I only have our house clocks to do now and sometimes I think we have toomany of them..cheers kennetho

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 06:32 PM »
For as long as I can remember, it has always been the case that clocks go forward 1 hour in Spring and back 1 hour in Autumn.

It must be far more confusing in a very large country like the USA, which has several different time zones across its width.

John
    Perhaps going back during the war we had double summer time eg two hours

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Hi Albert... I believe they brought in double summer time during WWII so the farmers could use more daylight hours for growing crops, etc. when it got pretty bad trying to import food into the country and the ships were being sunk carrying supplies.   Documentaries I've seen recently said there was a time when they feared there wouldn't be enough food for Britain and that's why we were encouraged to "grow our own"..... but, hey!.....we're survivors aren't we?  And some of us oldies are still here to prove it!   ;) :D

TooShy - you just reminded me that I think somewhere along our Maritime Provinces they also have half-hours....it makes you wonder how the Airports and such like know where everyone is, and when!?   ;D

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 05:14 AM »
It certainly does apply in Australia, Too Shy......Here in the Western side of Australia, we don't change our times....Adelaide is 2.1/2 hours in front of us...............Victoria is 3 hours.....NSW 3 hours.......Queensland don't change their time. Terrible for business practices and frustrating when you forget and think to ring a friend only to find that they have already started their day whilst we have been wakening up here. We just need to remember when England changes it's time otherwise we are ringing family when they are already in bed........What a confusing life we lead ha ha!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Some appliances of mine like the central heating timer, computer and satellite Tv automatically change the time but others like microwave, land-line phone, mobile phone, cameras, wrist watch, car dashboard clock and bedside clock have to be changed manually.  Mrs S.o.N's car clock never gets changed so it's wrong for 6 months of the year!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 01:43 PM »
hi got up this morning put all the clocks and watches microwaves ,ovens etc a pain in the bum , now you think where the gone  :)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 02:27 PM »
who gets the benefits with mucking about with the time????  cheers kennetho

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I discovered today that there is NPT, which is Nepal Time. Consequently, Kathmandu operates on a quarter of an hour time difference as opposed to the hours and, in some cases, half hours differences that apply in most other places around the globe.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 03:58 AM »
What I want to know is who's nicking all the daylight, ferrinstance down here in Godzone today is gonna be 2 minutes and thirty odd seconds shorter as we go into winter, but and it's a big one, in A-U-L today it's gonna be 4 minutes and sixteen seconds longer and I want to know where that minute and three quarters difference has gone, any ideas ??.  :)
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 04:54 AM »
they used to blame sir alex for nicking minutes but they cant blame him now .. cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46 AM »
What I want to know is who's nicking all the daylight, ferrinstance down here in Godzone today is gonna be 2 minutes and thirty odd seconds shorter as we go into winter, but and it's a big one, in A-U-L today it's gonna be 4 minutes and sixteen seconds longer and I want to know where that minute and three quarters difference has gone, any ideas ??.  :)

It's all part of the government cutbacks.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 08:03 PM »
you will get it back in fall.. cheers kennetho

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49 AM »
NZ clocks go back this Easter Sunday, can't recall it ever happening then but there you go, have a happy and safe Easter everybody  :)
I'm convinced 90% of the software on my computer doesn't do anything except send me notifications that there's a new version of itself.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 04:43 AM »
spring forward  fall back.cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 10:07 AM »
spring forward  fall back.cheers kennetho

Although it works in the above saying, I hope the use of the word 'Fall' for 'Autumn' doesn't catch on in Britain. Just a personal opinion!